Going to the range this morning

Pygmy

I have been hunting deer for over 50 years....I have stillhunted, stand hunted, treestand hunted and have done a lot of driving deer..

You take the shots as they  come, and many of those shots are at moving deer, or you don't shoot at all...

Nowadays, I prefer to sit in a comfortable stand, with a steady rest, and shoot at unalarmed deer as the opportunity presents itself...  That's just me., being relatively old, fat and lazy.....Hehehehe...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Shots 9-12 today with my sons Axis 7-08 with a cheap Nikon Buckmaster scope. 100 yards8779273D-48F2-46E3-AC17-8AF2E7D1CF73.thumb.jpeg.fee0d8c776eb8fa9fa20b94054c6397a.jpeg

Shots 5-8 at 70 yards. Also 1-2 to the far right which were aimed at a different point  

D1A0A473-A3D2-4359-A220-B86E5DBC9FAA.thumb.jpeg.b1c997fef317e1defde4b1b24adba753.jpeg

and the barely enough room bolt. 

48E8E310-7932-43B4-BA1A-6494B90EEE53.thumb.jpeg.0c7c8189019b1a73dd95c6b88568deef.jpeg

Not bad for a dirty barreled cheap set up. 

Lefty ehh? I could never get used to the bolt on the savage.

Edited by chas0218

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 5:35 PM, Pygmy said:

Nowadays, I prefer to sit in a comfortable stand, with a steady rest, and shoot at unalarmed deer as the opportunity presents itself...  That's just me., being relatively old, fat and lazy.....Hehehehe...

That's why I like my tripod set-up with the usual "bread and butter" shot @ 240-270 yds. The deer don't have a clue and I usually have plenty of time to make a shot. If I pay attention to the wind, I can hunt that stand day in & day out without disturbing the spot where the deer are most likely to appear.

If you can hold your groups to 1 1/2" or less @ 100yds off a rest, wedging the elbows on the opposite corner rails makes a 250 yd shot routine if your rifle is set up 2 1/2" - 3" high (depending on caliber) @ 100yds.

• Like 1

While sub 1/2" groups are certainly something to be proud of, by the results posted here, they are not extraordinary with a properly set-up rifle and a good trigger nut.

What is extraordinary is for the 1st 3 rounds of a load put on paper to be under 1/2".

When I "developed" loads form my 8X57IS, I did as I always do shooting over my chronograph seeking a compressed load that gave the lowest standard deviation. I did this with both Nolsler .323" 180 gr Ballistic Tips as well as .323" 200 gr Partitions.

After getting "on the paper" @ 25 yds, the 1st three rounds on paper @ 100 yds was a very repeatable sub 1" 3-shot group with the 180 gr BTs.

91afpoq.jpg

That alone would have been very satisfactory, but when I sent the 1st three 200 gr Partition rounds down range, I was astounded.

mMw0jhO.jpg

Needless to say, my "load development" ended right there, at least for the time being.

I did work up a duplicate performing load with less expensive Speer .323" 200 gr Hot-Cor bullets and more readily available Alliant Rl-17 at a later date when my initial stash of 200 gr Partitions ran out..

At that Mv, the Partitions weren't needed IMO and on game performance of the .323" 200gr Speer Hot-Cor has been outstanding.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1