Not a good start to 2018!!!

Robhuntandfish

Woke up at 6 am and the house was a little cool checked thermostat and it was 5 degrees cooler than the setting....uh oh..... checked out furnace...nothing. reset it and it came on and for a minute then shut off.   Tried again...same...

Had to call a buddy on new year's day at 6:30 in the morn that's in the furnace business. (And an avid hunter).   So by 9:30 heat is working. Whew.  Frozen gelled lines. And it was -18 here this morn.  

Then girlfriend calls as she just got home from work early this morn and her water is frozen.  Ugh..... salamander going in basement and water is now moving.  

And this is the first day of the year....

My buddy has another 20 calls this weekend and had to turn some people away, has guests at his house and still came over.  Good to have friends.  

Hope everyone else is starting out on a better foot.  

• Like 3

I was in the frozen pipe/water damage business for many years and don't miss it.  I hate it for people to have the associated damages as they are costly and a HUGE PIA.

Hope things straighten out for you and your squeeze as they appear to be!

• Like 1

It could have been a lot worse. At least you were home and noticed that the heat went out. I've seen it where people leave town for the weekend and come home to a real mess. At those temps and some wind, it won't take long to start freezing pipes in your house. Glad that you got it all worked out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Woke up at 6 am and the house was a little cool checked thermostat and it was 5 degrees cooler than the setting....uh oh..... checked out furnace...nothing. reset it and it came on and for a minute then shut off.   Tried again...same...

Had to call a buddy on new year's day at 6:30 in the morn that's in the furnace business. (And an avid hunter).   So by 9:30 heat is working. Whew.  Frozen gelled lines. And it was -18 here this morn.  

Then girlfriend calls as she just got home from work early this morn and her water is frozen.  Ugh..... salamander going in basement and water is now moving.  

And this is the first day of the year....

My buddy has another 20 calls this weekend and had to turn some people away, has guests at his house and still came over.  Good to have friends.  

Hope everyone else is starting out on a better foot.  

My father had this issue a few years back, he had heard from an old timer to add a pinch of kerosene I believe it was to the heating oil tank, and it acts like an anti-gel.  Not sure on specifics though, since then he hasn't had issues.  My sister, and grandparents run it as well now.  Just an idea incase you haven't heard of this.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bionic said:

My father had this issue a few years back, he had heard from an old timer to add a pinch of kerosene I believe it was to the heating oil tank, and it acts like an anti-gel.  Not sure on specifics though, since then he hasn't had issues.  My sister, and grandparents run it as well now.  Just an idea incase you haven't heard of this.

Yeah I just put in a bottle of anti gel as well.  Never had that happen before even with the some -30 temps.  But was def in a panic to get fixed before having water issues too.  

We put antigel in the diesels vehicles at work and it sure helps.  Tomorrow ought to be a fun day.  85 vehicles in the fleet and a bunch of them have been sitting for three days......ugh.  winter is tough.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah I just put in a bottle of anti gel as well.  Never had that happen before even with the some -30 temps.  But was def in a panic to get fixed before having water issues too.  

We put antigel in the diesels vehicles at work and it sure helps.  Tomorrow out to be a fun day.  85 vehicles in the fleet and a bunch of them have been sitting for three days......ugh.  winter is tough.

I assumed I was stating the obvious, but it was worth mentioning.  Glad you made out ok.  Last night the power went out here for 2 hrs, it sure gets you concerned real fast.   

Good luck at work.  I work for a DPW, and can sure relate to winter vehicle struggles.  It will be an interesting week for sure.  Extension cords, extension cords, extension cords. 

• Like 1