Lawdwaz

Wonderful Quote From The Late Charlie Alsheimer

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, goosifer said:

In terms of a "unit of measure", would it be fair to say that you are looking at it from the dollar economic activity/expenditures by hunters? That there are millions and millions of dollars spent each year by hunters on equipment, land, experiences, et al, and that these expenditures are motivated by a desire to get big bucks? And if so, I can see that.

What if one looks at things from the perspective of number of hunters? I'd guess that 20% of the hunters account for 80% of the dollars spent on hunting/the pursuit of big bucks. I also get the feeling that there are a lot of hunters out there that due to time and or budget limitations, can't really pursue big bucks, or at least not "do it right", and have to settle for harvesting a lesser deer, especially if the venison is an important component of their food budget.

So depending on what unit of measure ($'s spend on hunting vs number of hunters) one uses to look at the issue, one could say different things, and both "be true". There might be a way for both viewpoints to coexist without conflicting with each other. Just a thought.

You said it all in 1 sentence...Have to SETTLE for a LESSER deer!!!!!.  Just what i have said all along...Hunting and MOST hunters are drivin by antlers and for one reason or another cant get that accomplished and SETTLE for LESSER.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I wouldn't waste your time or breath, he's in the business of growing and selling big bucks to eventually be shot by rich fat cat "shooters" and you'll never sway him.  

Don't ever confuse the "shooter" with a "hunter", wildly different.

Like my business has shit to do with the conversation......Anyone who thinks hunting is not 100% drivin by the sight of big antlers is a fool.

You should be the leader of that group of few fools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In terms of a "unit of measure", would it be fair to say that you are looking at it from the dollar economic activity/expenditures by hunters? That there are millions and millions of dollars spent each year by hunters on equipment, land, experiences, et al, and that these expenditures are motivated by a desire to get big bucks? And if so, I can see that.
What if one looks at things from the perspective of number of hunters? I'd guess that 20% of the hunters account for 80% of the dollars spent on hunting/the pursuit of big bucks. I also get the feeling that there are a lot of hunters out there that due to time and or budget limitations, can't really pursue big bucks, or at least not "do it right", and have to settle for harvesting a lesser deer, especially if the venison is an important component of their food budget.
So depending on what unit of measure ($'s spend on hunting vs number of hunters) one uses to look at the issue, one could say different things, and both "be true". There might be a way for both viewpoints to coexist without conflicting with each other. Just a thought.

Atta boy Goos! you did some real math there! pretty sure that neither of your options equal 100% but I’m an English teacher so who knows! Sounds like, “to each their own”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Good think all hunters are different. Some of us get to enjoy the antlers right along with the journey. Makes the ride twice as sweet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really! That is not what he was preaching good try though!


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crappyice said:


Atta boy Goos! you did some real math there! pretty sure that neither of your options equal 100% but I’m an English teacher so who knows! Sounds like, “to each their own”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And told the truth.....Hunters after big and have to settle for lesser....Hell Charlie himself was one of the first high fence deer farmers in the state, He sold animals, He did research and he took pictures of what?    Mostly his biggest bucks.  Period!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crappyice said:


Atta boy Goos! you did some real math there! pretty sure that neither of your options equal 100% but I’m an English teacher so who knows! Sounds like, “to each their own”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with the statement "to each their own" when it comes to what a hunter chooses to harvest, as long as it is legal and ethical, but that really wasn't the point I was trying to make in my post.

In terms of your comments about the math, I assume that you are being facetious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Like my business has shit to do with the conversation......Anyone who thinks hunting is not 100% drivin by the sight of big antlers is a fool.

You should be the leader of that group of few fools.

 How can you highjack this post about a man  that has studied the Whitetail for years and gave us so much information to help us hunt. You should be ashamed of yourself and thank every hunter on this website that they go out all season long and enjoy the hunt, and not the antlers. Dude you just crossed the line and your shit don;'t fly here any more.


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I would agree with the statement "to each their own" when it comes to what a hunter chooses to harvest, as long as it is legal and ethical, but that really wasn't the point I was trying to make in my post.

In terms of your comments about the math, I assume that you are being facetious?

Take a walk in the next sporting goods store you see and take a picture of a small buck on anything for deer hunting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Take a walk in the next sporting goods store you see and take a picture of a small buck on anything for deer hunting?

And take a walk in everyones game room and you will find the small bucks that they first shot. 


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, First-light said:

 How can you highjack this post about a man  that has studied the Whitetail for years and gave us so much information to help us hunt. You should be ashamed of yourself and thank every hunter on this website that they go out all season long and enjoy the hunt, and not the antlers. Dude you just crossed the line and your shit don;'t fly here any more.

Dude.....I didnt highjact squat. I made a 100% true statement and fact.  I can show you plenty of guys that did just what i said this year.... Enjoyed both the antler and the journey.  someone wants to read words into that then thats on them.  

Most hunters on this this site go hunting in hopes of enjoying the antlers at the end of the hunt. read the treads. Look at the trail cam pics.  Not much need of them to just go out and enjoy a hunt huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Take a walk in the next sporting goods store you see and take a picture of a small buck on anything for deer hunting?

I can go look in the harvest threads on this site and see lots of "lesser" bucks next to hunters with big smiles on their faces. What about a kid who harvests his first buck and its a fork horn, but the kid is happy as can be. That kid isn't thinking "Man, I should have held out for the eight pointer". Or adult hunters next to a four pointers or six pointers. If they are happy and it was a legal harvest, let them be happy. Let the "serious" hunters spend their time and their money going after the big boys. And let them be happy. It's all good.

Edited by goosifer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't belong here "wonderful quote from the late Charlie Alshiemer" he is laughing at you......Dude. Most of us just need the journey and you need the money..........$$$$$$$$


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goosifer said:

I can go look in the harvest threads on this site and see lots of "lesser" bucks next to hunters with big smiles on their faces. What about a kid who harvests his first buck and its a fork horn, but the kid is happy as can be. That kid isn't thinking "Man, I should have held out for the eight pointer". Or adult hunters next to a four pointersor a six pointers. If they are happy and it was a legal harvest, let them be happy. Let the "serious" hunters spend their time and their money going after the big boys. And let them be happy. It's all good.

Nobody said they could;nt enjoy whatever they shot.  People cant read very well around here huh.  Read the post.

SOME of us enjoy the antler right along with the journey.  Nothing more-Nothing less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Nobody said they could;nt enjoy whatever they shot.  People cant read very well around here huh.  Read the post.

SOME of us enjoy the antler right along with the journey.  Nothing more-Nothing less!

You don't get it.........go to sleep ok and wake up in a new frame of mind......if thats possible. 


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, First-light said:

You don't belong here "wonderful quote from the late Charlie Alshiemer" he is laughing at you......Dude. Most of us just need the journey and you need the money..........$$$$$$$$

Oh look............Someone else bringing up something that this conversation has nothing to do with.    

That statement just shows how clueless you really are. You just blew everything you were trying to fight for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Oh look............Someone else bringing up something that this conversation has nothing to do with.    

That statement just shows how clueless you really are. You just blew everything you were trying to fight for.  

Answer it then. 

 


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, First-light said:

You don't get it.........go to sleep ok and wake up in a new frame of mind......if thats possible. 

Yeah maybe i will dream about how much $$$ i will make on the next big wild buck i shoot brings me while i enjoy my journey of hunting.   

Oh i get it just fine.  You are clueless and like putting words in peoples posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Yeah maybe i will dream about how much $$$ i will make on the next big wild buck i shoot brings me while i enjoy my journey of hunting.   

Oh i get it just fine.  You are clueless and like putting words in peoples posts

Answer it then


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Nobody said they could;nt enjoy whatever they shot.  People cant read very well around here huh.  Read the post.

SOME of us enjoy the antler right along with the journey.  Nothing more-Nothing less!

Well, it's good we were able to flesh that out and make some clarifications/distinctions on what was being communicated. Nothing wrong with the pursuit of big antlers. I don't have any numbers to quote, but I would imagine it's taken the hunting  industry to a whole other level than what it was in years past. Nothing wrong with those who, for whatever reason, pursue or harvest not so big antlers. All good. Enough room for everyone to enjoy hunting and be happy.

Edited by goosifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you raise these deer in that manner?


"We Feed 'em"

"He Breeds 'em"

Legends Lodge, "Where Legends are born"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.