Wonderful Quote From The Late Charlie Alsheimer

Lawdwaz

The biggest trophy's I have taken along my "journey" are mentoring young kids and seeing them harvest their first deer. Bringing friends and family to camp giving them the best spots in hopes of bagging a deer. Those are my trophy's from my journey. 

• Like 3

I get that for some. I honestly can't say what is truly on others hearts or heads.  I will say that I LOVE the cat and mouse game and knowing that there are some really nice bucks around can focus my efforts a bit. It seems like there are two extreme ideas that were put out there in this thread and others. That the majority are in it just for the experience and that the majority are in it just for the love of horns. Like everything else in life  the actual truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  I'm 52. From 8 year sold to 50 years old I spent every weekend,  Thanksgiving and  some vacation days hunting with my Father. I do like chasing around some big bucks but sure would take never seeing another buck to have a couple hours around the hunting camp table swapping the same old stories.  For me I do love hunting camp. At our place the hunting sucks really compared to some of the access i have in WNY.  Even with that I spend opening weekend and the whole opening week at camp. As long as the weather allows me to get in I still go to camp. Everybody thinks I am nuts but  gun season just has to be deer camp (even with no deer) lol

As do I. Hence the journey. But i also make it a point to only kill bigger mature deer. Hence the antler. I have every day of every hunting season to hunt and I spend most 3 hours away at camp. I fill plenty of doe tags and have gone years without killing a buck. By Choice. But every hunter still wants the biggest in mind and heart and that fuels many to hit the woods each fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

As do I. Hence the journey. But i also make it a point to only kill bigger mature deer. Hence the antler. I have every day of every hunting season to hunt and I spend most 3 hours away at camp. I fill plenty of doe tags and have gone years without killing a buck. By Choice. But every hunter still wants the biggest in mind and heart and that fuels many to hit the woods each fall

You should have led with that. 

Well that last sentence is your opinion not a fact. I know, the marketing you see proves you right. (Eyeroll) 

5 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I think we do all know of some guys though that would slit their grandmother throats for a shot at a big buck. 

40 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

You could have said:  "I am more concerned with teaching my kids, not just how to hunt and kill game, but to do it the right way and not turn out being a jerk." 

Oh golly gee I hope he hasn’t been called that before. 

But seriously, I don’t take using the term lightly and have never used it on this forum before in the seven years it has existed. He earned it. 

If I never kill another buck at least I’ll know I didn’t cheat like he has to. 

Oh golly gee I hope he hasn’t been called that before. 
But seriously, I don’t take using the term lightly and have never used it on this forum before in the seven years it has existed. He earned it. 
If I never kill another buck at least I’ll know I didn’t cheat like he has to. 

If cheating is taking care of the wildlife that lives on my properties then I will take it. It's amazing how many others have interest in hunting those same properties. The proof is in the pudding--Inches for you-- you stay in your minority while most of the rest of us move ahead. The picture from the rear never changes. Enjoy your view!

I’ll repeat myself. Only way to settle this is through the 2018 Showdown between Larry & Mike.

Best of 3 wins it all.

1. 2018 best spring NY turkey- should it be weight or beard length plus spurs?

2. 2018 highest scoring NY whitetail deer.

3. (If necessary) First yote after all deer seasons end, wins it all!

If everyone throws in a little money, say $5/person we could have a nice big pot going to the winner. Who’s in?

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

FSW is going to pass out soon from lack of sleep.............this thread "has" him.

I certainly didn't start it to twist his crank but I think his crank is twisted. :)

Wrong again. I enjoy laughing at you few fools. best part is about every thread that gets twisted just shows how jealous a few really are. Guys like Doe that have never been able to get it done can fall back on crap like i never try to get it done.

Best part about it is at one time Ole Charlie himself was all about the big bucks, A turn here and there and a job with Deer and Deer Hunter turned him in a different direction.  Those in the high fence bizz are a pretty tight group when it comes to passing info back and forth,

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ll repeat myself. Only way to settle this is through the 2018 Showdown between Larry & Mike.

Best of 3 wins it all.

1. 2018 best spring NY turkey- should it be weight or beard length plus spurs?

2. 2018 highest scoring NY whitetail deer.

3. (If necessary) First yote after all deer seasons end, wins it all!

If everyone throws in a little money, say $5/person we could have a nice big pot going to the winner. Who’s in?

LOL...No because if i won it would be....

Oh he spot and stalked those birds

He shot one of his own bucks and took the pic

He poisoned that yote at the den

The excuses would fly i'm sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

If cheating is taking care of the wildlife that lives on my properties then I will take it.

Cheating is feeding them in the winter which you admit to. 

Cheating is putting out minerals and whatever you use which you admit to. 

Cheating is killing Coyotes in the den which you admit to. 

I wonder what other illegal things you do in the pursuit of a deer. 

2 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I wish this made as much sense to all of us as it did to you. 

And yea, you know what I have seen and killed. 

You sit right along side the guy that loves and feeds the vermin. On a hunting site yet speaks little about anything hunting and only shows a hunting dog here and there. If you had it over the last 7 years you would have shown it.  They all do.  

3 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Cheating is feeding them in the winter which you admit to. 

Cheating is putting out minerals and whatever you use which you admit to. 

Cheating is killing Coyotes in the den which you admit to. 

I wonder what other illegal things you do in the pursuit of a deer. 

I dont feed any deer?  If they come to where i store my round bales thats on them.

I dont need minerals with 700 acres of crops

Its great to be a farmer when one has Vermin issues- Law is on my side

When you learn how to hunt mature deer one does not have to do anything illegal to just kill a deer.  Does not take a whole bunch of skill to do that.

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I dont feed any deer?  If they come to where i store my round bales thats on them.

I dont need minerals with 700 acres of crops

Its great to be a farmer when one has Vermin issues- Law is on my side

When you learn how to hunt mature deer one does not have to do anything illegal to just kill a deer.  Does not take a whole bunch of skill to do that.

You have openly bragged about all of the things I listed. 

1 minute ago, Doewhacker said:

You have openly bragged about all of the things I listed. 

No bragging..Just facts.  Dont use minerals in my own herd so dont need them in the wild. Crops take care of that.  

I believe i can put my round bales anywhere i like and i also can kill vermin 365.    

Any other questions?

9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

You sit right along side the guy that loves and feeds the vermin. On a hunting site yet speaks little about anything hunting and only shows a hunting dog here and there. If you had it over the last 7 years you would have shown it.  They all do.  

Uh yea that’s it I’m a fake hunter. Lol 

I think maybe it’s time for you to go smoke some weed. That’s right you admit to that too. 

5 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Uh yea that’s it I’m a fake hunter. Lol 

I think maybe it’s time for you to go smoke some weed. That’s right you admit to that too. 

Man it must just burn your ass that you cant be like Mike.    You keep working at it sonny. You may get there some day.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Four Season Whitetails
   On 7/10/2017 at 12:59 PM,  Doewhackersaid: 

How do you use the stuff?

Seems like it would fall under the baiting law in NY unless you can till into the ground and then plant a food plot which seems like a good idea from a novice.

That's how I use mine. Throw it on the ground, Till it in with my boot,Throw some wild seed on it and hang a camera. Some of that sticky stuff really hangs on the boots

hmmm sounds like you admitted to using bait in this post. 

2 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Four Season Whitetails
   On 7/10/2017 at 12:59 PM,  Doewhackersaid: 

How do you use the stuff?

Seems like it would fall under the baiting law in NY unless you can till into the ground and then plant a food plot which seems like a good idea from a novice.

That's how I use mine. Throw it on the ground, Till it in with my boot,Throw some wild seed on it and hang a camera. Some of that sticky stuff really hangs on the boots

hmmm sounds like you admitted to using bait in this post. 

Yup...Read the bag of throw and grow and there you have it. That buck jam stuff really keeps the seed to soil content in place.  About 100% germination.

Next?

On 12/21/2017 at 9:29 AM,  landtracdeerhuntersaid: 
If those round bales were baled, net wrapped, and still on the field in the original drop spot since September, do you think it's a sin? Been quite the year for haying. I feel bad, LOL.

No somehow they find their way into the cedar swamp. There is a little slope in the field headed towards the cedars so maybe they rolled that mile

how bout that, more baiting 

Charlie may have struggled with a touch of antler idolatry, but he got over it before it was too late, as is illustrated so plainly in the OP.  Hopefully FSW will also.  As a meat guy, I appreciate him and all the trophy hunters for selfish reasons.   The "baby-bucks" they pass, just might be what keeps me from having to eat chicken or pork at some point.   At least he eats the meat from those big bucks and the does that he kills. 

When filling DMP's,  I always have a touch of regret when killing a doe, thinking about the future bucks that she may have produced.   It is not all about me though, and I never hesitate to do my part when our venison supply is not secure and an opportunity presents itself, always targeting the largest-bodied deer first from a group. I breath a sigh of relief if "she" turns out to have buttons and balls.    

I have yet to regret punching a buck tag, no matter how small it's antlers were.   Some day that may cause me to miss out on a chance at a larger one, while out trying to fill doe tags, but that has not happened in 36 seasons of hunting.   I will admit that most of my drive to hunt goes away after my buck tags are punched, so I probably suffer from a touch of antler idolatry myself.   I have also passed on all of those with less than 3 points on a side for the last 10 years, but only to get a chance on one that has more meat on it.   I do not see that part as antler idolatry, but just a case of hoping for a little more meat.