Target practice on State Land

Lots of good it did to rake up all those shot shells, went back there yesterday and there is just as many laying around again. >:)

There would have been twice as many if you woulndt have cleaned the other ones up. Its a bummer that the rest of us have to deal with such slobs. You get any good brass out of it or just all shotshells?

They should make it more serious than a fine if you are leaving crap lying around. Whether you are leaving your brass and shells or just littering in general, its still a crappy way to conduct ones self when in the woods.  If you see someone leaving anything out there, you should immediately make them aware and enlighten them on the topic.  When I first brought this topic up I wasn't even thinking about this aspect, just whether or not you could legally shoot on state land more out of a safety concetn.  Picking up after yourself is just common sense and decency.  I guess there are just too many people out here lacking in these departments.

Unless you have actually seen it, it is very difficult to believe how sloppy users of state land are. I used the generic phrase for these users because it is not just hunters that have proven themselves to be pigs on state land. I have found discarded beverage cans, plastic zip-loc bags, and candy wrappers, potato chip bags and other forms of debris along the hiking and mountain bike trails. It's pretty disgusting how these people treat our resources. I have made it a practice to carry a garbage bag along whenever I know I am heading out on state land, and I seldom come home with an empty bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Went over to some state land in windsor the other day and got soaked so I headed home. On the way I stopped by the other stateland I hunt on and had to stop about half way and get out to releive myself because of all the water I was drinking. Im standing there and hear a car coming  so I finish and get back in my car and look in the rear view window and there is a Sherrif behind me. I roll down my window and he pulls around and asks what Im doing. I told him and he laughed. Asked if I was doing some shooting and I told him no. Then I asked him if it was legal and he said yes as long as you pick up after yourself which people were not doing so he was keeping an eye on the place. people were also dumping down there to so he was keeping an eye out for that to. I told him I had already raked up two garbage cans worth of shot shells and he noticed there were getting more and he was going to stop in and check more often to see if he could catch them. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need a hunting license to (responsibly) target shoot on state land?  Is the act of bringing a gun into the woods considered hunting, thus requiring a license?

Good question. I'll bet you do. I would think that a CO would see it all as being only one difference between target shooting and hunting. That being the presence of critters. On state land, there is always the presence of critters. I don't know, I have never seen anything in writing on that, but just applying logic kind of tells me that if you are afield with a loaded gun in an area where there are animals, one might think that you could be hunting.

Do you need a hunting license to (responsibly) target shoot on state land?  Is the act of bringing a gun into the woods considered hunting, thus requiring a license?

Email the DEC and ask, they will answer you. I am pretty sure they are going to tell you that you do not need a hunting license to target shoot on state land.

I was always under the impression that it was not legal to target practice on State land, unless you were practicing in a designated area.

I was told by State Forester that it is illegal to target practice on lands designated as a State Forest.

Long Island is a whole - nother ball  of wax. It is illegal to carry a rifle afield on Long Island.

As far as target practicing on State Lands on the Island with a sg/ml/22 or a hand gun I would ask an ENCON first. The DEC guys are pretty tough down here.

I was always under the impression that it was not legal to target practice on State land, unless you were practicing in a designated area.

I was told by State Forester that it is illegal to target practice on lands designated as a State Forest.

Long Island is a whole - nother ball  of wax. It is illegal to carry a rifle afield on Long Island.

As far as target practicing on State Lands on the Island with a sg/ml/22 or a hand gun I would ask an ENCON first. The DEC guys are pretty tough down here.

Its legal unless otherwise marked, we already talked about that on the first page lol

:)