planted some apples

Planted some apple trees in the back 1/2 acre field..

I know very little about growing trees, except what I have learned off the net recently. Hope I did everything right. I bought two of the trees online, a Braeburn, and a Transcendent Crabapple. The rest are from Home Depot.

004-1.jpg

Looks like you did your research....good job. Only concern I have is that fence seems to be tied above the ground which if you have any rabbits near by they may get to the apple trees and eat at the bark. I run my fence from the ground to about 1-2 feet above the tree and then I would lay rock around the entire inside of fence to keep weeds down and to keep anything from digging up under the fence.

Window screen material will work but you'll have to check it every year for tears esp if its nylon. 1/4 in welded mesh would work/hold up better. Looks like a nice future orchard.. keep an eye out for tent catipilliars and destroy any nest that appears those little catipilliars will strip a tree quick!

Also keep in mind that as snow rises so will the reach of the rabbit. As an example lets say your fence is 1' off the ground and you have 8" of screen or anything for that matter around the trunk and you get lets say 8" of snow the rabbit will still be able to get under that fence and still get at the bark,with no screen in sight. In instances where there is a fairly good rabbit population and good snowfall, I have seen rabbit browse lines 2-3' off the ground with bark of trees/bushes all eaten up. However if you rarely see a rabbit, then dont get all worked up and you should be just fine with your current setup. You will have a nice orchard in a few years time.

i went to walmart in oneonta and picked up a 7' pear tree for only $18 and apple trees 5' tall were $20, great prices. If you have a walmart close by with a large garden center that will be the best bang for your buck, I could not believe the great prices. Not much in the way of pine trees or shrubs however Walmart had hundreds of fruit trees.