Rifle for my daughter

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i thought that barrel nut allowed them to maintain exact minimum head spacing when assembling all the pieces together, a big reason for the accuracy they're known for? i'm not much of a gun guy, so i'm asking.

Yeah it's for adjusting the head space. You aren't supposed to adjust headspace by moving the barrel closer or away from the bolt using a nut. It is the same concept they use on the AR rifles.

18 minutes ago, airedale said:

I am very familiar with the Savage 110 style action and yes the barrel nut is a cost saving feature but for me that does not detract from it's end resulting performance. The barrel is headspaced by a big lock nut and threaded into the receiver. The receiver itself  is produced from a single piece of seamless tubing and stamped parts are used wherever possible. The use of a separated bolt head makes the bolt lugs essentially self-lapping and resulted in perfect alignment and great accuracy without added machining. The end result is a rifle that can and could easily compete on the range and blow the completion away on a sporting goods store gun rack. With all else being equal the Savage 110 style action will easily hold it's own against the intended competition. The most accurate off the shelf rifle I have ever seen was a Savage single shot varmint rifle in 220 Swift using a 110 style action, one hole groups all day long.

I'm not saying their design doesn't work, it does take the guess work and time out of a lot of the manufacturing. They have a system that works and a huge following. There are other things I don't like about the Savage mentioned earlier, but one thing I can't stand is their accu-trigger. My FIL loves them he says "its great because the gun surprises you when it goes off". I'll put money on that my Tikka will "surprise" anyone with the stock trigger pull. When you have heavy triggers that creep it won't do anything but make you a horrible shooter and you'll find yourself punching the trigger. If the trigger breaks clean you don't need an accu-trigger.

Edited by chas0218

9 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Yeah it's for adjusting the head space. You aren't supposed to adjust headspace by moving the barrel closer or away from the bolt using a nut. It is the same concept they use on the AR rifles.

I'm not saying their design doesn't work, it does take the guess work and time out of a lot of the manufacturing. They have a system that works and a huge following. There are other things I don't like about the Savage mentioned earlier, but one thing I can't stand is their accu-trigger. My FIL loves them he says "its great because the gun surprises you when it goes off". I'll put money on that my Tikka will "surprise" anyone with the stock trigger pull. When you have heavy triggers that creep it won't do anything but make you a horrible shooter and you'll find yourself punching the trigger. If the trigger breaks clean you don't need an accu-trigger.

i'm no legendary marksman, but here's what i think.  while a lighter and crisper trigger can help you make a better shot, it can also mask a crappy effort from the shooter behind the trigger.  i think most of my skills regarding a clean trigger pull came from growing up using my dad's Remington 7600 with a stock trigger.  it was a horrific trigger but i learned to deal and shoot well with it.  i think if you can shoot a heavy crappy trigger (excessive travel, creep, etc.) well, you can shoot any trigger well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

buying things like this for a lefty is a huge pain in the ass. So glad that my son is right handed.

It’s a badge of honor being a lefty. Lol 

I have come across about two left handed things in my life, a bow that I bought on the spot  and the 870 that I handed down to Nate last year. Other than that it’s been slim pickins. 

Auto loaders, pumps and single shots are ok right handed, safety’s can be switched. Bolts, not so much. 

• Like 1

buying things like this for a lefty is a huge pain in the ass. So glad that my son is right handed.

My buddy is a lefty and pays out the butt for guns in lefty. He was trying to build a lefty AR but decided against it because it was so much more for a lefty lower than the standard right handed lower. Same for his 700 ADL he bought it in lefty costing him $150 more than the righty.

• Like 1

I know my uncle has an older rem 30-06 pump, lefty. He loves it. He shoots a bunch of long guns in right but when we hunt rifle area he's a pig in poop with that thing. You would think there would be more options out there for south paws.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

My buddy is a lefty and pays out the butt for guns in lefty. He was trying to build a lefty AR but decided against it because it was so much more for a lefty lower than the standard right handed lower. Same for his 700 ADL he bought it in lefty costing him $150 more than the righty.

It would have to be a lefty upper in an AR.

Ive tried to get my daughter to shoot righty, but shes very left eye dominant, so it just doesnt work.

It would have to be a lefty upper in an AR.

Ive tried to get my daughter to shoot righty, but shes very left eye dominant, so it just doesnt work.

Nate is actually right handed but left eye dominant. I had him start shooting left handed after watching him try to cross his head over a stock to aim with his left eye. It was comical. Lol 

• Like 1