venison stew recipe

tommyc50

Hi everyone, yeah i know i know i posted this in general chit chat lol. But i did it for a reason , i took out  what i thought was stir fry to make jerky so i said i'll make stew. I seen a recipe on here that a guy had twiked  an emeril recipe for venison stew.I like emeril's recipes my daughter gave me a cook book of his years a go for christmas.I know he likes his spice and heat but, man i followed the recipe to the letter [which was a little vague]this is spicy i mean i love some heat and spice but this burned my lips. Well i hope someone else seen the guy's recipe on here i looked and can't find it no where. Oh yeah i'll let you know how the jerky turns out its the first time im using my masterbuilt smoker i got for christmas. im making 5 lbs .I had high mountain jerky kit so it was easy

That might have been me from a previous post because it is one of our all time favorite meals.  I do not vary too much from this recipe though, and if you follow it closely, it is not HOT, only a bit spicy.  I usually serve it over mashed potatoes.  We just had it the other night as a matter of fact.  

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/venison-stew-3644836

1 hour ago, Otto said:

That might have been me from a previous post because it is one of our all time favorite meals.  I do not vary too much from this recipe though, and if you follow it closely, it is not HOT, only a bit spicy.  I usually serve it over mashed potatoes.  We just had it the other night as a matter of fact.  

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/venison-stew-3644836

How long do you simmer it, Otto? I wonder if a longer cooking time mellows out the spices.

Honestly, we hardly ever eat it the day we make it.  Like most soups and stews, they are better the next day!  But an hour or so of simmering should be good.  If it’s too spicy, the mashed potatoes will calm it down a little.  

I don’t think a longer simmer time will ease the spiciness, it might make it worse.  You can always add more stock or water too.  

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

How long do you simmer it, Otto? I wonder if a longer cooking time mellows out the spices.

its the same recipe i got it off the food network page too. yeah your right it was much better after i let it simmer for 2 hrs it mellowed out alot. When i first tasted it WOW the essence that he uses was intense. Like i said it burned my lips.

32 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

oh yeah if you read it at the end it says take it out of the oven and have it with crusty bread.I was like wow it said do it on the stove top

Yeah, enamel covered cast iron dutch ovens work well for recipes like this. You can do all the sauteing on the stove top and then simmer it covered in the oven at a low temp.