Pellet Rifle purchase

Doc

So, I am looking at purchasing a pellet rifle for some intensive off-hand rifle shooting practice. I have some unique requirements.

First of all, I am not looking for too much power. All shots will be taken at extremely close distances (mostly in my basement at 15 yards), and I don't want so much power that I have to be concerned with ricochets.

I want repetitive accuracy so that I know that any variations are only my errors. I would like the ability to mount a scope.

I don't want to break the bank with cost.

I will need some good suggestions on makes and models and good places to purchase.

I have absolutely no knowledge of these things so don't assume that I know anything about these kinds of rifles.

Are their bee-bee guns that could give some good accurate practice at off-hand shooting or would you all suggest that I stay with a pellet gun. That is all it will ever be used for.

Can anyone give me a quick schooling on light-duty indoor rifles?

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

Not a pellet rifle expert but I do know that you have to hold a spring piston differently so if you're using it to practice for a powder rifle then don't get a spring piston.

Right now, it is strictly so I can practice and improve my off-hand shooting for regular guns, so I don't really want to get anything that does not replicate the feel of shooting a regular powder gun as far as  holding and feel. So thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Right now, it is strictly so I can practice and improve my off-hand shooting for regular guns, so I don't really want to get anything that does not replicate the feel of shooting a regular powder gun as far as  holding and feel. So thanks for the tip.

Then you need to get a multi pump gun like Benjamin  392 

Or something that uses co2 cartridges 

Or a Pcp airgun like 

Benjamin Discovery Rifle & Pump

Is a good starter not to expansive .

Easy to pump .

Edited by Storm914

Air rifles have come along way from those Daisy  Red Rider BB guns we had as Kids, today the sky is the limit on both price and performance. 

Pellets have the accuracy edge over BBs by far, they are also much better if you decide you may want to do some hunting. Most popular calibers are 17, 22 and 25 but there are many bigger cals on the market.

As mentioned above Pyramid Air has a very informative site that will put you up to speed on pretty much everything that is on the market from top to bottom. They have instructional videos along with ratings on what they sell from folks that have spent their hard earned cash. They are one of the top outfits to do business with when it comes to air rifles and stand behind everything they sell. https://www.pyramydair.com/air-rifles

As with any purchase you will surely get what you pay for and air rifles are no exception. Prices rage from well over a grand to under one hundred, but be assured cheap air guns will have lousy triggers and poor accuracy along with a long life and reliability lacking. A decent quality air rifle will give you many years of reasonable priced target shooting and can also double as a pretty fair short range varmint-small game hunting weapon. My best advice is to buy something with proven quality.

I just purchased a plinker myself last fall that I can highly recommend.  A 22 cal gas piston Gamo Swarm Maxxim, a ten shot magazine fed Multi Shot. Several things I like about this rifle, first of all the magazine, it works flawlessly and sure beats single shots having to put pellets in the chamber one at a time. It is light weight compared to the other two Benjamin air rifles I have by far. The trigger is decent which will go a long way in shooting accurate groups, it also comes with a half way decent scope with mounts and rings. The accuracy is good and I would have no problem taking a walk in the woods for early season shorter range squirrel hunts with this Gamo. 

001.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3