Adirondack's Camping

Moho81

You might find it is longer than 5hrs. Once you hit the park the speeds are slower because of the highway and it is not unusual to be doing 50 mph or less especially if it is a busy day.

5 hours was according to google. With 2 kids and a wife in the truck I guarantee it will be no less than a 3 day drive one way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Moho81 said:

5 hours was according to google. With 2 kids and a wife in the truck I guarantee it will be no less than a 3 day drive one way!

Been there done that:imsohappy:....Makes for some good memories and will probably give everyone something to remember. Make the best of it and enjoy:victory:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe I never updated this once we got back! 

Anyways what a great long weekend we had. The trip only took 5.5 hours with one stop in Rome NY to get in a bathroom break, stretch our legs and make lunch to eat on the road. The camp ground was beautiful, our site was right on the water with plenty of privacy from the other sites. I'm so happy we went further into the park than originally planned because we where surrounded by the mountains which is exactly what I wanted. 

While there we went and checked out the wild life refuge that was mentioned which was free of charge they just ask if you enjoyed yourself to think about making a donation to them which we did. The wolves and bear cubs where the highlight of the place. After that we went over to Lake Placid to have a look at some of the Olympic sites. 

We tried our hand at a couple of hikes but the kids are still a bit to young for that I guess. We did a very short one to Buttermilk Falls which was great but the black flies kept us from enjoying it for any length of time. We tried another trail that I am drawing a blank on but it was marked as easy and just under 2 miles round trip. We only made it 1/4 of the way in before my 4 year old was on my shoulders being carried through most of the way. As we neared the summit probably just over 3/4 of the way up my 8 year old had a little melt down because her legs where tired and the bugs where pretty bad. We took a short rest hoping we could make the summit but it wasn't happening so we turned back (a little disappointed).

We also went to the Adirondack Experience which was a bit pricey but well worth the money at $52 (4 year old was free). If you ever go there dedicate a full day to be there. A lot of stuff is interactive for the kids and the history is great for the adults. They just opened up a new section this year that is state of the art I was amazed at what was in there. 

Other than all that we rented a row boat for the day which was the kids first experience being on any type of boat and did the usual camping things like going fishing, playing in the water, making fire's and eating smores for dessert every night. 

We are already thinking about booking the same camp ground for next year. 

• Like 6

We took our kids up there when they were about that age.  Their favorite spot was Buttermilk falls, which is just upstream on the Racquet River from Long Lake (actually not a lake but a "wide" spot on the river).  They liked it so much that they still talk about it, almost 10 years later.  The falls are just a short hike from the main highway.  The kids had lots of fun jumping between the rocks at the base.  I can not think of any finer scenery in the lower 48.     

Ive caught a bunch of trout at Buttermilk Falls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive caught a bunch of trout at Buttermilk Falls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What time of year was that ?  I tried in the pool below the falls with my fly rod with no success in late July that year.   Most of the fish I caught on that trip were smallmouth bass further down river (out in the middle of Long lake) on bucktail jigs with light spinning tackle.   We took the kids up to the north pole one day (that was about a one hour road trip from Long lake).  I also tried the fly rod in a nice looking trout stream on the way up there, but all I caught on a dry fly was one little smallmouth bass.    

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

What time of year was that ?  I tried in the pool below the falls with my fly rod with no success in late July that year.   Most of the fish I caught on that trip were smallmouth bass further down river (out in the middle of Long lake) on bucktail jigs with light spinning tackle.   We took the kids up to the north pole one day (that was about a one hour road trip from Long lake).  I also tried the fly rod in a nice looking trout stream on the way up there, but all I caught on a dry fly was one little smallmouth bass.    

I was always there the second week of September. We stayed with friends in Old Forge and Id take a ride up there at least once every trip. I also fished Third Lake Creek for brookies. Its a nasty hike back in there to get to the beaver ponds but a lot of fun catching them