World Record Whitetail??

cwhite

Maybe Rompola wasn't so crazy after all for not getting his buck officially scored and entered(not to get off topic). :O  Sounds like a lot of crap to me, but who the heck am I? ::)

I guess I'll just keep shooting the little one to avoid any controvery! :(

From what I can tell by looking at just the pictures of the King Buck is that the g-3 do come off the top of the beam, but two antler points cannot occupy the same base and be called two points.. if you draw an imaginary continuous line across the top of the beam that would be the base of the antler points.. in my opinion the antler points do occupy the same base... meaning one point is a legit point and the other comes from that point and not the beam.. think of it as a forked antler with an extremely short base... therefore in my opinion the what would normally be the g-3's would become abnormal points...

another way to visualize it is... if you cut the points off at the very absolute top of the beam... two separate points would produce two distinct circles indicating two points... two points sharing a common base would show one circle with the points separating slightly above the beam.

Unfortunately, the B&C scoring system is based on symmetry when talking about a typical rack...

I don't know what the right answer is.  The article is obviously slanted toward scoring the deer as a typical.  It seems that everytime a buck comes along that may challenge the world record they have a way to discredit the animal.  I found it to be interesting reading.  To me the whole organization seems too political.

I read 215 net.. which would make it the new world record... as for B&C not wanting to score a true world record.. that is nonsense... they benefit in no way by not scoring an animal... in fact.. the possibility of a new world record would be exciting for them because that is what they do and a new record would be a huge promotion for the B&C... I'm sure that there is much more to the story than we are getting... from the pictures I saw I would have come to the same conclusion as to the abnormal points... I do agree that it is strange that a panel didn't come to the decision, so I am assuming that seeing the rack in person makes it much easier to tell that the points shared a common base... believe me.. none  of the scoring clubs have any alterior motives when it comes to getting bucks entered... but they do maintain a tight ship when it comes to adhering to scoring rules.

It never got to panel, Joe.

Just so I get this clear. If the beam is very thick between 2 tines and the imaginary line drawn...in ths cas before the G2 to after the G3......The area between the 2 and 3 would be considered a common base?....regardless of the distance between 2 and 3? What if the main was thick for 6" between 2 and 3? still common base?

THat is my biggest fault with these groups...it is too subjective. I would love to see a book just on the shear volume of horn....no guess work there

No not necessarily.. sometimes even with a thick beam you can still see the separation beteen the pointsat the base... I agree that the B&C scoring method is subjective... but being that it was designed to reward symmetry in a typical rack... the less perfect rack will always be scrutinized more. I personally don't think it's the best way to rank overall headgear... it just happens to be the one that has been around the longest and has the greatest following...

All the credible scoring clubs are non-profit clubs B&C, P&Y, and most state scoring clubs. I say credible because the organizations started because a group hunters wanted to make sure there was a records of incredible bucks taken all over the world for future hunters to see... scoring methods like buckmasters are a commercial operation soley to draw attention to the business and to make more money.

The clubs are just there to record the animals... it is the hunters who have turned it into a competition... most of the scoring organizations would probably prefer not to even give credit to the hunter and just enter the buck, but they need to tickle the hunters nuts to have access to these bucks so that guys like you and I can have an opportunity to see some of these tremendous deer

If you look at the lines on the king buck that I've drawn it gives you the beam top and you will also see the continuation of the g-2... the g-3 seems to be coming of  the side of the g-2 and not off the beam.. making it an abnormal point...which automatically makes the g-3 on the opposite side an abnormal point because it no longer has a corresponding point. Both would become deductions... just thought I'd explain the process

That is the actual rack in the pic by the way

post-1627-131455444149_thumb.jpg

Joe, I see what you are talking about with the points sharing a base off the beam.  There has to be more to the story if so many official scorers and computer measuring programs are counting it as a typical.  The final score that Ron Boucher, one of the panel members that scored the Hanson Buck, was 213 6/8".  1/8" bigger than the current world record.  Also, I wasn't talking scandal or conspiracies.  They are probably right on with their judgement, but, it seems that everytime a buck comes along that may challenge the record it is discredited before it can be scored. 

They really have no reason to try and keep a buck that is a world record out of the book.. there would be nothing for them to gain. If they thought it was a world record contender they would definitely enter it... with all this hubbub they will be coming out with a statement soon on the matter... I read it on their website.

No doubt this is an exceptional buck, but rules are rules... unfortunately sometimes

By the way.. the buck scored as a non-typical wouldn't be that high over the minimum of 195... in order for the buck to be scored as a non-typical it would have to be higher over the non-typical minimum than it would be over the typical minimum.. so it doesn't qualify as a non-typical. As a non-typical it would be almost 100 inches from the world record anyway.

And for the record.. the other experienced measurers refered to in the article if they were in fact B&C measurers.. would probably not have half the experience measuring as Jack Reneau.. and would probably have learned from Jack to get there B&C measurer status..

well not exactly disqualify it.. just the part that is shot off cannot be scored... not sure about the clean break thing they talked about in the article... never heard of that.. .. I know if the skull is split then the rack is disqualified

Joe, in your drawing......slide the g3 two inches down the beam....leave the beam high in between 2 and 3.......it still wouldn't count then would it? It would be sharing a base?

usually points that share a commom base are close to one another... if they were farther apart like you discribed.. it might be possible that the points could be separate and each come off the beam even with the web between.. hard to say.. would have to see it first.. what I see in the pic here is not the top of the beam between the two points but rather that little crotch that you get when an antler point forks... the fact that the fork is close to beam in this instance gives the impression that it is the top of the beam when in reality it isnt...

Seems like a lot a fuss about a rack.  Remember, ya can't eat the horns.  :D

You actually could get a pretty penny for them if you sell them to the crazy china people. They gring them up and drink them in some strange concoction thats suppose to make you strong like bull and put lead in your pencil. I'll personnally stick to Monster drinks. ;)