Idea from NYSlowhand

fasteddie

I have 3 Primos Truth cameras that have crapped out and no longer work . Water gets in the front and messes with the battery contacts . nyslowhand came up with an idea that I failed to try . He mentioned something about using a plastic milk bottle or other similar bottle and cutting the bottom off but leaving a long strip to place behind the trail cam so that the thing would shield the camera from the rain , etc .. I will have to try his idea sometime . 

24 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Cheap and easy rain shield I like it, just don’t forget the jug cap  ^_^

rob-c ---- You use the bottom of the jug that is flat and doesn't have a cap . A windshield bottle would be better as it is stiffer than a milk bottle . 

Actually it was a steel pie tin painted flat black. Cut a semi-circle in one side & attached an "L" bracket to mount to the tree. Quit using them due to the rain-hat messing with the ambient light and made cam think it was low light conditions. Had to mount so high above cam to allow all light onto the cam, it was pretty much useless for shielding rain. BTW - Have used a lot of Bushnell cams for ~12yrs and not one problem with moisture getting in the interior. Assuming the seal on the Primos cams isn't working very well...!?!

Well , so much for a rain shield . I will give it a try anyway . The Primos Truth cams have a partial front opening door . Rain gets in and the terminals get rusted / corroded  . The Primos camera is the only one that seems to do this . 

Apparently my memory isn't very good . Maybe I was thinking the milk jug or something similar was your suggestion . OOPS !!! 

Or  maybe a piece of Alum stove pipe cut, formed & attached to cam somehow to form a sort of shroud or hood...

The cut-up inner tube idea is interesting, but it'd need to be more of a cam condom than a flap...?

FYI - There are sprays available to protect/inhibit the inside electronics from corrosion, but NOT a cure for the case's moisture problem. Do a Google search for... how to protect outdoor use electronics from corrosion.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1