I'm doing something wrong with my recurve

Caveman

I recently switched from a compound bow to a recurve.  Bought a Samick Sage. I have noticed since I started shooting it that I hit my bow arm with the string about half the time.  This was never a problem with my compound.

I know it is obviously a form problem, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong specifically.  

I grip the bow so my bow hand is at a 45 degree angle and the throat is resting in the meaty part of my thumb.  I know it isn't my grip.  

Originally, I was trying to draw too far.  It took some getting used to not having a back wall like a compound.  Once I corrected that, I cut down on the frequency significantly.

So, what other form problems would lead to string slap besides grip and overextending?      

Plucking the string can cause it.   It’s a fine line.  Good alignment will bring that string darn close.   A pluck will then cause the string to move slap the arm.   Where are you hitting?   Forearm or closer to wrist?  And what BH?

8 inch brace height.  Hitting square in the middle of the forearm.  Halfway between the wrist and elbow.  

What does a proper release look like?  I've only have to touch off a release for the last 12 years and I haven't shot a recurve since cub scouts.  

10 minutes ago, Caveman said:

8 inch brace height.  Hitting square in the middle of the forearm.  Halfway between the wrist and elbow.  

What does a proper release look like?  I've only have to touch off a release for the last 12 years and I haven't shot a recurve since cub scouts.  

It’s a not a BH issue for you.   Since you are confident your grip is good, I bet you are plucking.   Try setting your hook deeper.   Getting your fingernails to face your face vs forward.   It’s ok if the string is a bit deeper than first joint.  

The bow should quiet down more when you aren’t plucking too since the string is coming off your fingers at an angle towards bow arm when plucking which causes noise as string isn’t hitting groove evenly.  I can hear it in the bow if I pluck.  

And good back tension with a follow through will help avoid plucking too.   Try to keep a relaxed forearm.  

You want your string hand naturally moving back not out (away from face) when u release.   Usually when one plucks, the string hand moves away and out from face at release.  Lots to consider.   Pulling with your arm vs back will elicit a pluck too.  

You didn't say what poundage your recurve is, but likely you are a bit over-bowed and your elbow is collapsing in trying to brace against the unusual forces throughout the draw cycle. Roll your elbow out and you will find extra clearance.

The muscles used on a compound and the ones used on a recurve or longbow are not quite the same. Compounds start at zero pounds and go to maximum and then toward the end of the draw cycle, the let-off takes over. Your archery muscles have learned to accept that force-draw application. The recurve builds to a point where you reach max draw weight at full draw. The muscles feel a whole different pull throughout the draw cycle, and your muscles have to be re-conditioned to accept that. At first everything is trying to collapse. Until your muscles develop the new cycle of draw weight, there will be all kinds of form failures. Roll that elbow out, and you should get your string clearance back.

Shooting traditional gear can be very rewarding but does take tons of practice to be proficient.

Are you shooting instinctive or with sights?

Do you still have family here in Amherst, I believe you did??

If so or if you're in the area I'd let you borrow a very good book from G. Fred Asbell.  It's his first book "Instinctive Shooting".........

21 hours ago, Doc said:

You didn't say what poundage your recurve is, but likely you are a bit over-bowed and your elbow is collapsing in trying to brace against the unusual forces throughout the draw cycle. Roll your elbow out and you will find extra clearance.

The muscles used on a compound and the ones used on a recurve or longbow are not quite the same. Compounds start at zero pounds and go to maximum and then toward the end of the draw cycle, the let-off takes over. Your archery muscles have learned to accept that force-draw application. The recurve builds to a point where you reach max draw weight at full draw. The muscles feel a whole different pull throughout the draw cycle, and your muscles have to be re-conditioned to accept that. At first everything is trying to collapse. Until your muscles develop the new cycle of draw weight, there will be all kinds of form failures. Roll that elbow out, and you should get your string clearance back.

Ha! I can guarantee I am overbowed.  I bought 45 pound limbs thinking that it was much lighter than my compound, and, in any event, I'm a fairly strong guy (granted, not moog-level, but I can hold my own in the gym).  I wish I had seen Moog's advice on this forum ahead of time and bought a light bow until my form was down pat.  

Drawing is not a problem.  But drawing, holding at full draw, and concentrating on form throughout the draw cycle is humbling.  

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

Ha! I can guarantee I am overbowed.  I bought 45 pound limbs thinking that it was much lighter than my compound, and, in any event, I'm a fairly strong guy (granted, not moog-level, but I can hold my own in the gym).  I wish I had seen Moog's advice on this forum ahead of time and bought a light bow until my form was down pat.  

Drawing is not a problem.  But drawing, holding at full draw, and concentrating on form throughout the draw cycle is humbling.  

But a set of lighter limbs. Money well spent if you plan to hunt with a single string.  Bad habits are hard to break once they become part of your shot routine. 30lbs are a great weight for form.  You will be able to use that 45lb in no time once the right muscles are being used.  And form work with light limbs never hurts. 

20 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Shooting traditional gear can be very rewarding but does take tons of practice to be proficient.

Are you shooting instinctive or with sights?

Do you still have family here in Amherst, I believe you did??

If so or if you're in the area I'd let you borrow a very good book from G. Fred Asbell.  It's his first book "Instinctive Shooting".........

I am not shooting instinctive.  I am gap shooting/point of aim shooting.  I would like to shoot a fixed crawl, but everything I have read says that's tough without an ILF bow.

My in-laws are actually fleeing Amherst for the Carolinas in the next few months (retirement), but I live in Elma and work in Buffalo, so I may just take you up on that.