Time to scout !!

Salmon_Run

Well up north gang, here we are with a heat  wave again and it's time to scout some early bear and deer sign in the deep woods.

I usually like to do some summer brook trout fishing and tie that into a scouting trip this time of year.

Who's been out scouting yet ?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OldNewbie said:

My scouting consists of driving a loop around my neighborhood at dusk and seeing what deer are around. Tonight just 2 doe and 1 buck, a 6 pt in velvet. 

Too funny, I've often hunted the 8M area and that was scouting in the Southern Tier.....I've gone days without seeing deer in the North country but love the solitude involved.

I've always said I go up North to hunt and South to harvest venison.....

• Like 1

I’ll be heading up to start some deer and bear scouting in 5H next week. Also have a backpack trout safari planned later this month and I’ll definitely be snooping around a bit then too. Lots of deer encounters and bear sign while out wandering during spring gobblers. Haven’t been out scouting as much as I probably should be yet, just been having too much fun chasing trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Enjoy!!! 

The bear activity on our side of Route 8 has been incredible this year and every week there are tracks right by the camp. 

Also have seen lots of turkey and poults running around. It has been very dry up until a week ago and I'm glad the trout streams received some water.

Stay well.....

• Like 1

I got some good scouting in earlier this week. Deer and bear sign was about the same as it was during spring gobblers. Which is to say pretty dense actually (for Hamilton County). I did see a ton of geese which was cool. I was planning on kicking things off with a backpack hunt in the Catskills for early bear but now I may have to pull out the 12 gauge on Sept 1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1