Electric/ Propane Smokers help

nycredneck

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/44-lp-gas-smoker-smoke-hollow/prod19140034.ip?xid=plp_product_1_4

I have this one...   first one I have ever owned, so I am far from an expert..

That said, everything I have ever made has come out great and my ribs are as good as any I have every had...

Plenty of room....   Can control the temp fairly well...    Seems to be economical on Propane...

all for < $300

It all matters about you. I have a propane and an electric. I have also done the charcoal/wood offset. The last two require a LOT more attention. You need to monitor the fluctuations the temp can take and some require fresh "smoke" wood more often. It is cool if you don't mind pulling an all nighter or waking up every 2-3-4 hours to check on stuff. A good thermometer with remote can aid in this if it works good. You can get a wakeup if temp is off.

For pure ease of use electric all the way. You set the temp and it handles keeping it there.

One other item to note though is electrics can run small. Some can be hard to fit a whole rack of ribs lengthwise without cutting, forget about a whole 14 pound brisket!

If you are envisioning doing hind quarters of deer, a pig or half pig, lots of full racks or full briskets keep in mind the inside room as the tower style electrics are small inside. A big offset would be a better choice.

Definitely not on the cheaper side but I love the Bradley digital smoker. Roomy enough for four full racks of ribs or a 20 lb turkey. Easy to use, you have to check every three hrs or so to add water. 

I just did a 15 lb brisket and it turned out great. 

37 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I had a Masterbuilt electric and it worked three times. I researched fixing it and found out that was a very common issue and there was no fixing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That stinks.  Mine had worked flawlessly for two years. What broke?

10 hours ago, moog5050 said:

That’s kind of an important part of the smoker

Its whats known as a deal breaker in the world of smoked meats and cheeses. I actually bought an element that converts a charcoal smoker and tried to retrofit it but it was always way too hot. I just tossed the whole operation a couple weeks ago

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Its whats known as a deal breaker in the world of smoked meats and cheeses. I actually bought an element that converts a charcoal smoker and tried to retrofit it but it was always way too hot. I just tossed the whole operation a couple weeks ago

I will say I like the ability to easily control heat with the electric but with a cheap Amazn pellet smoker box, one could do some great smoking on a regular grill, including cold smoking.  I use one inside of the masterbuilt since it provides much more consistent and long lasting smoke than the heated tube that comes with the smoker.