Propane vent-free heaters

Swamp_bucks

We are in the process of hopefully buying closing on our new place shortly. Well our current house is an older single wide with some extra additions. My wifes aunt is buying it for next to nothing. Trying to help her out. Well she doesnt want the pellet stove so i sold it to a friend and i want to put these in instead.  Just 2 maybe 3. 

Just trying to figure out if its the right move.(she doesnt want electric or pellet stove. When we bought it all of the old furnace was gone).

Anyone have any info on them?

Screenshot_20181007-132837.png

Un vented propane puts out more more moisture than you'd think. Not too bad as winter air is dry, but I wouldn't upsize too much. Usually on manufacturers web site there will be a guide to sizing or similar often in the installation guide/instructions based on volume.

Hung a few similar in jobs here and there with good results; small workshop, potting shed/greenhouse/3 season room.

I like the no power requirement if service is down.

I have one up at camp I put it in last year but only used it once so far stopped up at the cabin when it was about 20 degrees in the cabin tossed it on and in under 2 hrs i had the main room of the cabin in to the 40s . the room is roughly 25x30 it also has an optional fan to blow the heat around. I give it a 2 thumbs up.

O yea also really easy to install most of them you can use either propane or natural gas on them mine has a port for each.

I'm thinking of putting one of these in our camp (28 by 12).  I have a Big Buddy heater, which is a similar unit but portable.  Hooked to a 20 lb tank it will run you out of a room that size in single digit weather (assuming good insulation) and run for days on end.  I've used it through a number of power outages at home (including 12 days during Sandy, although it wan't that cold).

Amazon sells the Dyna-Glow units (and others), and has a lot of reviews and Q&A's.  Generally favorable. 

Edit: Question - does anyone know what's involved in installing, say, a 100 or 200 lb tank outside a home/building?  Does it require a permit?  Any particular kind of base?  Is propane much cheaper when delivered by a truck and pumped into a large tank?  (Sorry to hijack, but I figure these questions are probably relevant to the OP as well.) 

Edited by jmark