Where can you hunt bear in NY?

Geno C

I always wanted to do a bear hunt with the bow, in the worst way... But i never hear anything about bear hunting in NY. Is it legal? can you do it? i know we all get a bear tag when we get our license but can you fill it if a bear walks by your stand? im dying to take a black bear with the bow...

i was just curious

In the southern part bear opens same day as deer archery....a week later in gun....I went to camp and the apples and acorns are looking great...also they've been in the wild honeybee tree....here at home...apples  are so but soybean plots are great and I fertilized the bramble area...some canes are 8ft tall and I have an acre of heavily fruited bushes...only a few oaks are producing as far as I can see...we have 200 oaks of varying ages.....

Check the Game Laws book for details on where and when you can hunt bear.  It's not open statewide.  You have to know what zone you're in when hunting bear in NY.  Bow, rifle and muzzle loader are all used for Bear in NY in the right season and zone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want to target them and know they are in the area I have a tip for you. You are allowed 1-1/2 oz of attractant for bear hunting.

Take a soup can with the label off. put a coat hanger or tie wire through two hole you put in it....like a small 5 gallon bucket arrangement.

In the area you want to hunt that day........put the leagal ammount of honey in it. Take a propane torch and heat the honey up in the can until it foams....turns black and smokes.....sit back and wait.

works best with a gentle breeze and pick you spot so the breeze carries the sicky sweet odor into suspect bear cover.

Worked like a charm for me in Ontario.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Geno Well Ill try to answer your ? for you . Ive had the best luck in warren county if you can get access  try the Craine Mountain area in Thurman NY by Warrensburg NE Adirondacks  I know quite a few DEC personel and they have said there is more bear per sq mile than any other place in ny my biggest to date is 7ft 3in and i have seen 1 (no joke) at least a third bigger here I see on avg 2 bears a day hunting and could easily take a bear a yr if I wasnt so dang picky + if its to far back in I have to figure if I want to carry it outby which I mean hide,head,hams loins etc,I only leave a gut pile and rib cage when Im alone if i have buddys and we want the bear 1 pc ( this is the easy way) after gutting and draining a bear legs will only come back toward its body cavity sofar so you flip bear onto its belly and bring legs the legs up square 1 buddy per cornor GRUNT and pick up and carry it out like a coffen  avoid dragging if possible hair damage ,etc + every hair does seem to catch on dust even lol Well Good Luck Geno hope this helps