Thoughts on a possible Re-barrel??

Savage Axis XP 6.5cm

Has anyone ever re barreled a Savage axis before?  Been looking up Macgowan barrels online and how to seat them properly etc.. I won a Browning of the same caliber recently, dont need 2 of the same calibers at the moment. I do believe Savage has 2 different threads between the axis and its better models.. Guess im just looking at some options, other than selling the gun.. If its worth it.. Otherwise ill sell it..

TIA

If i chose to sell it, i have it sold for 325$ as it sits right now.. 3 ppl I know want it. Has 5 rounds through it. If i did rebarrel it would be in a cartridge i cant find a rifle in.. but still no clue which one yet. Looking for ideas i suppose 

Unless that’s with a scope of any value I’d sell it either way, that’s more than they sell for new! 444a6ff4c50e036d83bba6891cb3cad1.png&key=c11b23240bb55d4f31e841abdbc5861d3b29f0ba6af84b4a9f83d14a61573488

35 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Unless that’s with a scope of any value I’d sell it either way, that’s more than they sell for new! 444a6ff4c50e036d83bba6891cb3cad1.png&key=c11b23240bb55d4f31e841abdbc5861d3b29f0ba6af84b4a9f83d14a61573488

Our walmart has the 22 250 axis for 269 right now. Almost bought it just to mess with. With the cheap bushnell it comes with 3-9x40. 

19 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

My son re barreled an axis, it only took 15 minutes if that to have it head spaced and back together. He experimented on a $160.00 22-250 axis. He put a 6 creedmoor criterion barrel on it, it shoots

I was really liking a varmint caliber that will sling a 70-85gr pill at some good velocities. Like the 224 valk, or 22 creedmoor. Something most people dont have. Or possibly getting a tighter twist barrel in 22 250. But again not a fan of having multiples of the same caliber guns.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helmut in the bush said:

My son re barreled an axis, it only took 15 minutes if that to have it head spaced and back together. He experimented on a $160.00 22-250 axis. He put a 6 creedmoor criterion barrel on it, it shoots

Savage bolt actions are super easy to rebarrel. Just rent some headspace gauges. Insert the gauge, close the bolt, screw the barrel in until it stops against the gauge, then tighter the lockring. Make sure the ejector is depressed when you screw the barrel in before the lock the ring down.

https://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=26

You can sell the old barrel on E-Bay if you don't want to keep it..

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I was really liking a varmint caliber that will sling a 70-85gr pill at some good velocities. Like the 224 valk, or 22 creedmoor. Something most people dont have. Or possibly getting a tighter twist barrel in 22 250. But again not a fan of having multiples of the same caliber guns.  

Look at a 22PRC