Crossbow string mishap

BuckFever21

21 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

No, cocked is cocked. I'm still going with the nock of the bolt was not making complete contact with the string at the time he squeezed the trigger. Barnett is notorious for having "fast" crossbows, probably too much power.

i don't have a crossbow but have a little experience with them. i've watched a hunter ed instructor not seat the bolt to the string and then the string broke when he pulled the trigger. i've heard of that being a common operator error thing too.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 3:57 PM, Uncle Nicky said:

No, cocked is cocked. I'm still going with the nock of the bolt was not making complete contact with the string at the time he squeezed the trigger. Barnett is notorious for having "fast" crossbows, probably too much power.

Just wondering - I had been under the impression using a rope cocking device would result in a more even cocking.  IOW distributing the pull more evenly on the string, reducing the likelihood that the string might be slightly "tighter" on one side.  Don't know if that could be relevant, and maybe it's just nonsense.  But I didn't think "cocked is cocked"...

9 minutes ago, jmark said:

Just wondering - I had been under the impression using a rope cocking device would result in a more even cocking.  IOW distributing the pull more evenly on the string, reducing the likelihood that the string might be slightly "tighter" on one side.  Don't know if that could be relevant, and maybe it's just nonsense.  But I didn't think "cocked is cocked"...

I have 5 days experience,  with crossbow,  so what do I know? However, the archery DID express evenly pulling back on the string, like you are mentioning.   Dealer did not say why...

Dealer also stressed to fully seat the knock also, like dbhunter is mentioning.  Which I can absolutely see why.

For whatever thats worth...

Edited by Bionic

20 minutes ago, jmark said:

I never used a cocking device on either of my crossbows, but when the string is fully pulled back and cocked (safety had to be off), you hear a "click" and the safety snaps into the safe position, then the bow is ready to fire. Broken strings and cracked limbs are usually the result of the force of the fired string not making direct contact with a solid object (a bolt). At least this has been my experience. I think the cocking device is mainly for ease in cocking the crossbow, I have heard it has an effect on accuracy when both sides of the string are pulled up completely evenly, but I've always had good results without using one, I really believe the accuracy issue is minimal.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Maybe a few years ago a manual rope cocker could give uneven string tension. The gripper gizmos that attach to the string have been improved so that isn't an issue. The mechanical, ratcheting cockers do apply a more evenly distributed force on each side of the string. JMO, either method with today's tech improvements are pretty negligible with newer Xbows. This could be/have been an issue using a manual rope cocker for Bionic...?

Just semantics - When you refer to a rope cocker, it's the manual type you carry in your pocket. Never heard anyone refer to a ratcheting or mechanical cocker using the word rope. Still understand what you're saying anyways!!!

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Maybe a few years ago a manual rope cocker could give uneven string tension. The gripper gizmos that attach to the string have been improved so that isn't an issue. The mechanical, ratcheting cockers do apply a more evenly distributed force on each side of the string. JMO, either method with today's tech improvements are pretty negligible with newer Xbows. This could be/have been an issue using a manual rope cocker for Bionic...?

Just semantics - When you refer to a rope cocker, it's the manual type you carry in your pocket. Never heard anyone refer to a ratcheting or mechanical cocker using the word rope. Still understand what you're saying anyways!!!

I haven't had an issue...