New Calls

DirtTime

I got this awesome deal at "That Store That Shall Not Be Mentioned", Field And Stream. This was a great deal from a well known company. I'll get that glass primed and ready for May 1st for sure. Some practice as well with that crow call. The mouth call...? I may try it, I have never been able to use them, they create a gag-reflex that makes my stomach feel like I just got hit in the balls ( Yes, I said balls! If Biz can post pics of bare chested women, then I can say balls! Or drop an F-bomb here and there! ) with a wood baseball bat.

The funny part is, on that clearance rack, they had the same glass call with just the striker for the same price. Was one the oddest clearance racks I have ever seen.

Call came 'pre-conditioned', I can get some solid yelps,clucks,purrs, and cuts, but man that kiki isn't working out. I did use the sand paper provided to season the surface a bit, but I think it's like 40GRN, not enough abrasion to really get it done on glass. I think I may get a stone to get the surface ready.

Huge difference in sound from the Rosewood to my resin striker. I will say though, that Rosewood sounds great on my actual slate.

Learning process that I am enjoying.

Edited by Rob...

I have been working with the new call. It might just be my ears, but the glass sounds a little off compared to slate.

One question though, when ever I season a pot call, I wipe off the excess dust with a paper towel. Always felt that dust would get caught up in the conditioned area and make the striker slip/slide on the surface.

I even gave that wretched diaphragm call a try, and as always, I blew chunks. LOL

I think you guys are right about the glass calls being higher pitched and not sounding as good as a slate. But, I will say that I have worked just as many gobblers in with the glass as I have with my slate. I don't understand it because that Quaker Boy slate sounds sweet to my ears.

It is a handicap if you can't work the mouth calls. It is much easier to work the tom in the last 20-30 yards when you don't have to be moving your hands. Try trimming them way down, or try one with an aluminum frame so you can bend it a little to fit better. That's what I do with the Quaker Boy mouth calls.

22 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I think you guys are right about the glass calls being higher pitched and not sounding as good as a slate. But, I will say that I have worked just as many gobblers in with the glass as I have with my slate. I don't understand it because that Quaker Boy slate sounds sweet to my ears.

It is a handicap if you can't work the mouth calls. It is much easier to work the tom in the last 20-30 yards when you don't have to be moving your hands. Try trimming them way down, or try one with an aluminum frame so you can bend it a little to fit better. That's what I do with the Quaker Boy mouth calls.

I have a massive gag reflex, so I can't even deal with having them in my mouth. Trust me, I wish I could use mouth calls. I most likely would have my first bow turkey kill last season if I could use them.

Bill is right about using your mouth and throat if you just can't use a mouth call. All you really need to do is keep him interested so he hunts just a little further for that hen. Plain clucks or soft yelps will finish the deal lots of times, or even just plain, old silence. Good luck this spring, Rob.

• Like 1