Lever action 45 colt or 9mm or 45acp carbine for bear ?

Hunter007

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Personally I don't own a lever action and have no interest in them.  If you don't (and I'd guess you don't) own a suitable rifle why not a 12ga pump gun (surely you have one of them) stuffed with slugs?  Maybe put a few #6 lead shot loads in your pocket in case your lost in the sauce in the 'Dacks somewhere and need to pot a rabbit, squirrel etc to survive a few nights.  Make sure you have a Jetboil or even and old Svea 123 (old school) to cook up your bounty. 

How about a Space Blanket?  Can head out without one of them........

What's your choice in chamberings?

What lever action?

Don't own any guns in those calibers was going to buy a malin  1895 in 45 70 the other day but  decided I would wait on that seeing they  have been having problems lately. 

Just brought it up because lot of guys have those calibers .

Of what I got now it would be a rem 700 in  30-06  for survival it would be my 1187 

But I  think about getting something  more light weight and compact like a lever gun .

54 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Did not say what state or what type of bear  actually .

well, I was just guessing you meant NY because any serious hunter leaving here to go into legitimate bear country wouldn,t ask such a silly question.

Edited by jjb4900

22 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

Hypothetical  a hypothetical proposition or statement. "Finn talked in hypotheticals, tossing what-if scenarios to Rosen"

May be you didn't get that .

I just like throwing out these scenarios makes for good conversation  .

I'm not planning on any bear hiking trips there just scenarios that could happen .

Edited by Storm914

Honestly was to exited to examine lungs and heart when I field dressed id but all shots were right at point of front leg and all within a fist sized area bullets were magteck 240 grain solid points I have used them on deer as well 

There in lies the problem, you didn’t have a bullet or chambering failure you had an anatomy failure, the vitals on a bear are in the middle not behind the shoulder like in a deer. This is why one should not post “fact” with very little actual knowledge, you’ve been tapping about how bad the 44 is for deer and you likely didn’t touch any vitals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If you decide to go for a lever action carbine make it easy on yourself and get a 44 Mag, Like I posted earlier the ammo selection is much better. If you are not crazy about Marlins maybe a Henry carbine will fit your needs. I have three pre merger Marlins and I have had good luck with all of them, there are plenty good used ones available. Don't have any experience with Henrys but their reputation among those that do have them has been positive.

Treat yourself Stormy

2019-01-11_064437.png

2019-01-11_064602.png