big water ducks

Robhuntandfish

Have seen some of you guys hunt Ontario for ducks.  How do you setup for that?  Are you hunting out of the boat and string out decoys?  I on right on Oneida lake and the shorelines mostly have a lot of houses etc.  Been working on a way to get a bit of duck hunting set up.  I have a dozen decoys, a call and a shotgun so i got the basics - lol .  But are you full camo over the boat?  do you shore it and hunt from a shoreline?  Also looking to maybe hunt in the erie canal a ways up away from houses but have to do some research on that too .  thanks 

Don't necessarily let houses keep you away, shoot towards the open lake. Can set up close to shoreline, I hunt open water a fair bit with longlines away from shore. Camo boat probably helps but honestly mines nothing fancy and birds decoy fine. Tons of fun, just make sure to have a plan for retrieving the birds. I've used a kayak from boat, a clip on the anchor line with a float so it's easier to get back on anchor, and a dog, they all work but bringing a kayak is a pain in the balls. 

Also you can go old school and retrieve with a fishing pole.  Nice heavy lure with lots of hooks.  Not the best but can work in a pinch.  Also pay attention to the wind strength and direction. If you work it right, the wind can help you retrieve with your fishing pole.

A dozen dekes is enough. I don't put out more than that usually anyways.

1 minute ago, Al Bundy said:

Also you can go old school and retrieve with a fishing pole.  Nice heavy lure with lots of hooks.  Not the best but can work in a pinch.  Also pay attention to the wind strength and direction. If you work it right, the wind can help you retrieve with your fishing pole.

Ive tried that, never works out for me lol

49 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Don't necessarily let houses keep you away, shoot towards the open lake. Can set up close to shoreline, I hunt open water a fair bit with longlines away from shore. Camo boat probably helps but honestly mines nothing fancy and birds decoy fine. Tons of fun, just make sure to have a plan for retrieving the birds. I've used a kayak from boat, a clip on the anchor line with a float so it's easier to get back on anchor, and a dog, they all work but bringing a kayak is a pain in the balls. 

So can I retrieve with the boat I'm in?  Why would I use a kayak?  Guessing so that you don't have to mess up setup? 

I was thinking i have my bass boat, and think I can shoot off that as long as motor is off and up?  Then if I actually hit any retrieve the with the boat. 

I was thinking about going out by one of the islands and setup there and also have a small bay in mind.  Lots of fisherman out then too to work around. Def don't want to be near anybody.

Was thinking for the early October season on warm days that I know are a waste of time in the treestand. 

21 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Was looking at a pond and was thinking of doing that there. I can cast across it so thought a fishpole would work great. 

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So can I retrieve with the boat I'm in?  Why would I use a kayak?  Guessing so that you don't have to mess up setup? 

I was thinking i have my bass boat, and think I can shoot off that as long as motor is off and up?  Then if I actually hit any retrieve the with the boat. 

I was thinking about going out by one of the islands and setup there and also have a small bay in mind.  Lots of fisherman out then too to work around. Def don't want to be near anybody.

Was thinking for the early October season on warm days that I know are a waste of time in the treestand. 

Yep we used a kayak tied to the boat a few times to avoid moving it was a pain, And in my early days of boat hunting. you can retrieve with the boat you are in. You can shoot with the motor down as long as you aren't moving due to the power of the motor at all. If you end up hunting in the cold don't put the motor up!  

37 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Yep we used a kayak tied to the boat a few times to avoid moving it was a pain, And in my early days of boat hunting. you can retrieve with the boat you are in. You can shoot with the motor down as long as you aren't moving due to the power of the motor at all. If you end up hunting in the cold don't put the motor up!  

Good tip there.  Thanks.  Early bow is so warm would like to take a day and duck it.  Thanks. 

And hell can fish then too, that's all a good day.  My boat goes in storage at the end of Oct so would be doing in decent weather.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Shoreline and/or boat as long as you can retrieve. As long as you are shooting out over the water you are legal. Get your dekes out about 40 yards. Divers are a lot of fun and love to decoy!

Divers?  Gonna have to get some duck pics.  Cause the only one I would know is a mallard. Lol.  

Was wondering how far I should put them out esp since I am a sitting duck myself in a boat.  But have had ducks come right by us fishing.  Thanks

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Divers?  Gonna have to get some duck pics.  Cause the only one I would know is a mallard. Lol.  

Was wondering how far I should put them out esp since I am a sitting duck myself in a boat.  But have had ducks come right by us fishing.  Thanks

First thing you need to know is what a griebe looks like!

Pay heed to the griebe comment.  They are around. I have had two come into my spread on different years.  They are small. I don't boat hunt, I am on the shoreline. I have a pair of waders and wade out until water is about up to my stomach, or a little lower. I set out decoys at that depth.  Many guys set out a string of decoys in a line and use a boat to set them out further than waders would allow. I don't do this, but its done often.  I don't for the simple fact birds usually come into my spread and its another level of effort to get it going. 

• Like 1