Planted a plot

Hey all, planted my first plot.

It is pretty much in the middle of the woods, a half acre. To start out, I bought a soil test kit, and it showed the ph was low so I spread about 1000 pounds of pellitized lime on it starting in May. The other tests I did were all over the place, so I was not really sure...I sprayed most of it, left a small patch of clover in the middle, that was rototilled under anyway.

I planted Evolved Harvest Shot Plot, a mix of Rape and Turnips. I also went for a light application of Ladino Clover. I then spread 200 lbs of 10-10-10 fertilizer, it was all I had on hand. The Brassicas call for a good level of Nitrogen. Can I add more? How soon?

Also, the meadow had a good amount of hay/dead weeds that I had to flatten with the ATV, I do not know what affect that will have.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and of course a photo.

005-2.jpg

You should be okay adding a 46-0-0 if you add it 30 plus days after the seeds start growing.  But if you do take some precautions,  Make sure it is a nice dry day with a few days follwoing that so it can settle to the ground and not get wet and burned on the plants, also do it miday or early afternoon once the dew has burned off the plot for the day.  As far as the Hay/dead weeds, the seeds need soil contact to have a good chance.  If the seeds are suspended in piles of dead weed chances are the plants roots are going to dry out if they establish and be short lived if they make it that far.  I always york rake the dead weeds off the plot even though I plow the soil over.  I dont like taking the chance of the dead brush turning into live brush again but thats just me.  All you can do now is play the wait and see game but Im sure you will get a decent amount of growth out of it.  I always plant an annual the first year or 2 in a new foodplot to get a hold on weeds and brush before I go all out with a perenial.  Just another thought for you to consider for the next time.  What was your ph reading by the way?  Next year you should take another soil sample as well.  Pelletized lime is more or less a lawn type lime and its long range effect on a foodplot is subpar to a good pulverized ag lime.  You are probably going to have to lime it again in a year.  But hey dont let my post get you down by any means you have a great start and a nice looking soil to work with and limited rocks unlike most of us so your one up in that department.  Foodplots are always a work in progress. 

Ok, that is some great advice, thanks guys.

I was suprised as well how few rocks came up. That spot, and just about my whole property was a dairy farm many, many, years ago. I just bought the property less than a year ago, and am still learning about it.

The ph test I did was all over the place before I limed the plot. (varyingly low) I did not do one after.

The property is about 4 hours away, so I go mostly for a few days when I have off from work. That might make it hard to plan adding fertilzer with the rain. Is there a less potent one I could try that would still be beneficial, but not have as much tendency to burn? Maybe something I could do two different times?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Ok, that is some great advice, thanks guys.

I was suprised as well how few rocks came up. That spot, and just about my whole property was a dairy farm many, many, years ago. I just bought the property less than a year ago, and am still learning about it.

The ph test I did was all over the place before I limed the plot. (varyingly low) I did not do one after.

The property is about 4 hours away, so I go mostly for a few days when I have off from work. That might make it hard to plan adding fertilzer with the rain. Is there a less potent one I could try that would still be beneficial, but not have as much tendency to burn? Maybe something I could do two different times?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Be careful with the straight urea as it can burn your plants if not applied correctly, Typically after a month of seeding, you want to go in and fertilize again, can use 15-15-15. The triple 10 you used for the brassicas is a little low on the nitrogen that I would use as the Brassicas due require more nitrogen and if you have triple 15 left over you can use then next spring to fertilize any fruit trees. You really have to look at the health of the brassicas after one month to determine what type of boost they will need in fertilizer. Again, if you go with straight urea be careful.. Good luck....

NYBH...has good advise and may I add that if you notice a purple tinge developing around the outer edges...that's a good sign of phosphorus deficiency in your soil....that is some times over looked...its what helps plants convert starches to sugar...and really shows in brassicas....so a good mixing of say 10-10-10 with 10-20-20 would not be a bad thing...also using a 10-20-20 is good for your legumes...they produce their own nitrogen....I good quality soil analysis would give exact amounts needed of each per acre

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it.

Now that I have been back, I have an update. Because I was going to broadcast the seed, and not press it in with something, I over seeded as per the instructions. But then I used the ATV, around and around...lol. So, now I have crap loads of plants...A few bare spots, and a few spots with sooo many..Anyway, thats what it is..

Here is a photo, thanks again.

P9030121.jpg