Fast growing nut or fruit trees

I have a 50'x100' area i'm looking add a few fast easy growing fruit or nut trees.I wanted to go with oak because there's none around,but they take 20 yrs to produce. Plus i'd like something I can eat as well as the wildlife.I think my best bet would be to buy trees not go the seed route.This area gets good morning sun with afternoon shade.I don't know how much it matters but I up in the foothills of the ADK and get a hit with lake effect weather.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I have a 50'x100' area i'm looking add a few fast easy growing fruit or nut trees.I wanted to go with oak because there's none around,but they take 20 yrs to produce. Plus i'd like something I can eat as well as the wildlife.I think my best bet would be to buy trees not go the seed route.This area gets good morning sun with afternoon shade.I don't know how much it matters but I up in the foothills of the ADK and get a hit with lake effect weather.  

There is a member here who has a nursery for wildlife with very high quality and fast fruiting/growing trees. I can supply you his info if youd like. Great man with a great business. 

• Like 3

Buy 1in diameter trees,apple or pear and fence them. Chestnut are good but hard to find in large diameter and a late frost can kill them 1st few years 

I looked into the chestnut trees but couldn’t find any. Apple trees sound good. How far apart should I put them and do I fence off the area or just around the trees? I remember “growalot” mentioning something about girdling? With apple trees in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a member here who has a nursery for wildlife with very high quality and fast fruiting/growing trees. I can supply you his info if youd like. Great man with a great business. 

I’m going to try it myself, but if it doesn’t work out I’ll hit you up for the info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I looked into the chestnut trees but couldn’t find any. Apple trees sound good. How far apart should I put them and do I fence off the area or just around the trees? I remember “growalot” mentioning something about girdling? With apple trees in winter.

Depends if your planting dwarf, semi dwarf or standard.. I usually.plant semi, at 10 to 15 ft apart. I do a 5ft 2 x4 in welded fence that is only 8in to 1 ft in diameter. Staked . I really only protect the trunk amd.let limbs stick thru

The main leader is protected and will keep growing to 20 to 25 ft. I leave.fence on. Till 4 or 5 in in diameter and.prune all lower limbs off below 5 ft when it establishes itself above 5 ft. ( I do this because I want to mow under them and shoot under them ..) if you have larger bucks in area you may want to leave fence on longer .( I had a buck rub a 5in diameter tree last year..pissed me off )

In fall you need to pull all the tall grass from around base so mice/ voles dont chew trunk..the 2x4 fencing let's weasel and other predators help keep rodents away as well

Edited by G-Man
  • Thanks 1

Minor hijack....
Went to check the progress of my buddy’s pumpkin patch yesterday and this is what I found

989ee6194912571feb1953d50b72386f.jpg

3f5ce101826c3747435a288d38865d3a.jpg

7a1eb75ad64d092a98bdf0324fc0b63a.jpg

Waist high grass and very few pumpkins except for the plants on the fringes of the field. He doesn’t want to spray weed killer but the dry spell they had seem to promote weed growth instead of pumpkin plant growth.
Any hope for this pitch? How would you proceed?

51 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Minor hijack....
Went to check the progress of my buddy’s pumpkin patch yesterday and this is what I found

989ee6194912571feb1953d50b72386f.jpg

3f5ce101826c3747435a288d38865d3a.jpg

7a1eb75ad64d092a98bdf0324fc0b63a.jpg

Waist high grass and very few pumpkins except for the plants on the fringes of the field. He doesn’t want to spray weed killer but the dry spell they had seem to promote weed growth instead of pumpkin plant growth.
Any hope for this pitch? How would you proceed?

I'd spray with clethodim if you can get it..wont sell in ny.. but neighboring states still have it, will grass only and all broadleaves are safe from it.. 

• Like 1