Pressure cooking venison (canning)

Single_shot

• 2 weeks later...

I do cold pack in sterilized jars remove all air bubbles with a non metalic say spatula handle and ass 1/2 tsp. per pint 1 tsp. per quart of canning salt on top. Leave 3/4 to 1 inch oh headspace. Cook pints for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 12 to 14 pounds pressure. Let cool normally do not release pressure from canner after removing from heat. Steps to cool quicker end up loosing liquid as in steam out of the jars.

It is very easy and very good. Best recipe is warm up with a can of mushroom gray and a can on mushrooms and serve over noodles.

I have never heard of canning or jarring cooked venison. I normally vaccumn seal and freeze it to get me through the year. I just defrost and soak whatever portions I choose with water, white vinegar and salt.

How long does it last in the sealed jars/cans?

I have never heard of canning or jarring cooked venison. I normally vaccumn seal and freeze it to get me through the year. I just defrost and soak whatever portions I choose with water, white vinegar and salt.

How long does it last in the sealed jars/cans?

Been canning deer meat for many years,but it takes about 3 hours per/pot or 6/7 quarts,depending how large and how many jars you can fit. The longest we have kept it is 3 years and it was still as fresh and good as the day it was canned. You can't beat canned deer meat. But pressure cooking it in the jars takes much less time. We always use regular table salt,about 1 level tsp. per jar and make sure the air is out with a butter knife.

I do cold pack in sterilized jars remove all air bubbles with a non metalic say spatula handle and 1 tsp. per quart of canning salt on top. Leave 3/4 to 1 inch oh headspace. Cook pints for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 12 to 14 pounds pressure. Let cool normally do not release pressure from canner after removing from heat. Steps to cool quicker end up loosing liquid as in steam out of the jars.

It is very easy and very good. Best recipe is warm up with a can of mushroom gray and a can on mushrooms and serve over noodles.

Thanks for the info but what exactly is "ass 1/2 tsp. per pint " LOL. Never mind,I got it.Gotta love typonese. The wife and I usually do more than 1 batch in day. How long will it take to do say,2 batches,if you are telling me I need to let it closed and let it cool down and depressurize? That seems like it would take most of the day for 1 batch.

lol "ass" = add. What takes the most time for me is trimming the meat to pack the jars. That can take some time. I can usually do a couple batches in one evening. It probably takes 20 to 30 minutes for the cooker to drop temp and the pressure tab falls, then you can open and pull jars to finish cooling and start another batch.

The link above is pretty much the way to do it, I add the salt but otherwise right on.

It lasts well over a year but I doubt if you do not polish it off before that.

I absolutely LOVE canned venison!! It's such a quick and easy meal! If I forget to lay meat out of the freezer for dinner, I just grab a jar of canned venison! Just throw in a skillet for a couple of minutes to warm it up, and you're good to go! Very tender and juicey every time!! I've been out now for 2-3 months and I can't wait until I have that shelf stocked again! I imagine it must have a shelf life, but I've had it from other people when it was 3 years old and it tasted as good as it would have on day 1! Sometimes we add a little salt and pepper to the jar, but other times I don't add anything and just sprinkle some on when I am warming it up. One friend says that he adds a clove or two of garlic to each jar for flavor.

One thing I tell people though, is that it tastes a whole lot better than it "looks" in the jars!! :)

• Like 1

I have had good luck by canning venison very simply.

Make sure you have good, clean meat...Trim away all fat ,gristle, bloodshot meat, hair etc.

Cut meat into 1" to 2" cubes.

Pack meat raw into clean jars...If you want, put 1/2 TSP salt to a pint or 1 TSP to a quart of salt. I add a slice of garlic to each jar.

Put COLD water in the pressure canner and process 75 minutes per pint or 90 minutes per quart.

Set canner off heat and wait until pressure returns to zero.

Set jars on a towel and wait to hear them "DING" when they seal

Does canning have to be done with fresh venison or will thawed from the freezer venison work if it is not too old ? In other words is it o.k. to can venison a month or two after processing ?

We've cleaned, cut into chunks, and frozen before and then later canned with no problem. Sometimes we have some left over, but not enough for a full canner full, so we'll freeze until we get more, then can together.

• 2 months later...

Did pressure canning yesterday . Borrowed a pressure canner and did a couple of qts.of venison to try it.I water bath canned vegetables last sept. so that gave me some experience with lids and jars.Found this very easy to do and will be easier next time.Now I am going to keep an eye out for a deal on a pressure canner.