Applied to become a DEC Hunter Safety Instructor

Otto

I've been thinking about this ever since I took my Archery class two years ago.  Let's just say that instruction program left a lot to be desired.  I'm not sure if I can do a better job or not, but I guess I will find out.  I've spoken to two different former instructors and gotten some feedback from them too (not overwhelmingly good).   So I am going in with eyes open.  I do have some experience teaching and have been hunting for almost 30 years, so hopefully I can help get a few more hunters into our ranks.   

I'd love to hear from others on their experiences as instructors.  @grampy I think you mentioned you are or were an instructor? 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Yes, I am a current NYS Hunter Ed Instructor. I started to think about becoming an instructor when I sat through the firearms, and then the bow course with my grandson, at a local sportsmans club. I thought the way it was presented, and the instructors there were very good! And I encourage all the long time hunters to bring a young hunter, and sit through the course! I know I learned a couple things, when I did it!!

I was asked by the club, to come in and do a Deersearch presentation, which I was happy to do. As I've been a long time member, and tracker/handler. Afterwards, was approached by a couple of the hunter ed instructors, who said they thought I would be a good fit to help, as there are never enough instructors. So I said sign me up!

The first step is to become an apprentice.There is a VERY long list of things to do, to be certified, and it took me about a year to complete the apprenticeship. If you go to NYSDEC, and type becoming a hunting instructor, that will get you started. Much easier to do it through a hunt club or an organization. 

You will need to have an FBI background check. A visit from, and an interview done by a DEC officer. As well as an online course. And a day long course done at a DEC HQ. Along with the many hours during the apprenticeship, of learning, observing and teaching, every part of the course curriculum, to actual classes of students. All while being mentored by a Senior Instructor.

There is always a need for more instructors!!  Especially younger ones!! As most all of us are older. It really is one of the most rewarding things I've done, to try and "give back". To something that has given me so much in my lifetime. And well worth the effort of becoming an instructor.

I wish you good luck! And if there is anything I can do to help you, just PM me anytime!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i thought about doing this with the things i'm involved in. likely could work under one of our QDMA branch officers that's an instructor for Warren county or a couple other friends that are instructors for Rensselaer county. I've "helped" during classes before multiple times. the biggest complaint i hear from ALL of them is that by the time you get the mandatory safety content and position statements from the state in there's very little time to introduce more material, discussion, or elaborate on anything.

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i thought about doing this with the things i'm involved in. likely could work under one of our QDMA branch officers that's an instructor for Warren county or a couple other friends that are instructors for Rensselaer county. I've "helped" during classes before multiple times. the biggest complaint i hear from ALL of them is that by the time you get the mandatory safety content and position statements from the state in there's very little time to introduce more material, discussion, or elaborate on anything.

I can see that. At my daughters course all 35 or so people had to hand a fake gun to someone and step over a fence. I think they caught on after the first few kids did it. There were several exercises like that eating up a lot of time

Yes, I am a current NYS Hunter Ed Instructor. I started to think about becoming an instructor when I sat through the firearms, and then the bow course with my grandson, at a local sportsmans club. I thought the way it was presented, and the instructors there were very good! And I encourage all the long time hunters to bring a young hunter, and sit through the course! I know I learned a couple things, when I did it!!
 I was asked by the club, to come in and do a Deersearch presentation, which I was happy to do. As I've been a long time member, and tracker/handler. Afterwards, was approached by a couple of the hunter ed instructors, who said they thought I would be a good fit to help, as there are never enough instructors. So I said sign me up!
The first step is to become an apprentice.There is a VERY long list of things to do, to be certified, and it took me about a year to complete the apprenticeship. If you go to NYSDEC, and type becoming a hunting instructor, that will get you started. Much easier to do it through a hunt club or an organization. 
You will need to have an FBI background check. A visit from, and an interview done by a DEC officer. As well as an online course. And a day long course done at a DEC HQ. Along with the many hours during the apprenticeship, of learning, observing and teaching, every part of the course curriculum, to actual classes of students. All while being mentored by a Senior Instructor.
There is always a need for more instructors!!  Especially younger ones!! As most all of us are older. It really is one of the most rewarding things I've done, to try and "give back". To something that has given me so much in my lifetime. And well worth the effort of becoming an instructor.
I wish you good luck! And if there is anything I can do to help you, just PM me anytime!

I didn’t realize you were deer search, I thought about doing it when I first got my GSP and actually attended a pick nick at some hunting club in dutchess county a few years ago, I wonder if we crossed paths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

Thanks everyone for the comments, especially Grampy!  I asked at my local sportsman club if they host or teach a class and was told that they do not.  So DEC will have to assign me someone as my mentor.  

Are you in region 4 ?