Primos Problem

Doc

I've been getting quite a few badly under-exposed daytime pictures up in this one section of woods up on the hill. It's an area we call the "dark woods" because that's exactly what it is. Its all old-growth hemlock trees that almost close out daylight. The problem is (I think) is that what sun there is that gets through creates these very bright blotches in the picture, and I think the camera is mis reading the actual light in the picture and is turning off the IR and trying to take a regular picture. That just isn't working out. There is no problem with night-time pictures. The IR comes into use and it takes great pictures. But a nice sunny daylight picture really confuses it. Last year I had my Bushnell Trophy set up there and never had a problem, but the Primos just doesn't seem to like that heavy lighting contrast. Anybody else ever have a problem like this?

post-11-0-44992500-1315855484_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-65441500-1315855569_thumb.jpg

No problem at night though:

post-11-0-29711600-1315855643_thumb.jpg

I wound up moving it today to a brighter area nearby. We'll see if that works. I think it will. I was about ready to check another spot anyway because all I am seeing are the same does over and over. But I am a bit disappointed that Primos didn't see this as a possible problem and put in a more intelligent exposure system. The worse thing is that I will never know what kind of a monster buck may have been in those pictures ...... lol. Or maybe it was a mountain lion! :D

I wound up moving it today to a brighter area nearby. We'll see if that works. I think it will. I was about ready to check another spot anyway because all I am seeing are the same does over and over. But I am a bit disappointed that Primos didn't see this as a possible problem and put in a more intelligent exposure system. The worse thing is that I will never know what kind of a monster buck may have been in those pictures ...... lol. Or maybe it was a mountain lion! :D

Or Bigfoot !! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I have that same exact camera and haven't had that issue. Maybe you should face the camera in a different direction.

I had a Bushnell Trophy mounted on exactly the same tree last year and never had a problem. I moved the primos to another area and still had occasional under exposed pictures. Many of these blacked out pictures were taken around noon with sunlight coming through the trees (see the samples). I also had a series of two pictures on the same day only 2 minutes apart. One was exposed perfectly the next one was almost black. The people at Bass-Pro took one look at a sample picture and had no problem deciding it was a bad camera. By the way, I do have a Primos 60 that has absolutely no issues. That's why I had no problem buying another one in the first place. I guess you just occasionally get a lemon. So far I am happy with the Bushnell trophy that I traded in the Primos for. So now I have 1 Primos 60 and 2 Bushnells. All I need now are some good bucks to show up....lol.