Tips for hunting the RUT?

BizCT

All my life I have hunted with a shotgun in putnam county or rifle in the catskills for deer in NY. I have never hunted with a bow, so I never really hunted the "rut". The few times I have hunted whitetails out of state it was December, etc. The deer I have shot in NY have come by me sitting against a tree or stone wall watching trails that I know deer take. I never call, rattle, etc.

This year I will hunting in Pennsylvania 10/31 - 11/5 with the crossbow. What are some tips for hunting the rut? I will be hunting in an area where there are many signs of nice bucks caught on trail cameras. Im staying with an outfitter at a lodge, but the hunting is by myself on state land and private land. He will place me in a spot where I will sit Monday and Tuesday, then its up to me if I want him to move me to a different spot or not. He has been sending me trail cam pics of nice bucks and likes hes said many times, "you will see bucks, but its up to you to get them close enough to shoot". So my question is, if I see a buck say 75 yards away, how do I get him to 30 yards away? do I grunt call, doe bleat, etc? Im not going to be in a tree stand, i plan to hunt just like I do in NY on the ground, but with a crossbow instead of shotgun, so my limit is 40 yards.

Thanks in advance to the bowhunters for their tips/advice. Lastly, this is not a crossbow/archery discussion. Thanks!

The bucks should be cruising checking doe groups around that time, i'd take along a grunt and a doe bleat(can type or blown) if your watching trails the bucks will be using them as well to go from doe group to doe group looking for a doe that may be coming into heat. The bigger bucks will most likely not be in full out chase mode while some younger bucks may seem like they are chasing the does will want nothing to do with them. If your watching fields note the wind and where u see deer entering and exiting the field, if you have to move you'll know where to move to. As for that last couple of yards a bleat or grunt may work but keep in mind if your on the ground they will be looking for the "other deer" which was you. Make sure the trail your watching is in range!!! if not get closer to it.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be hunting in fairly heavy laurel(sp?) brush. If I see 1 buck alone at say 50-100 yards away cruising by and not coming any closer, do I grunt or bleat?

Attached a few trail cam pics I was sent by the outfitter....weird looking grass/laurel?

post-871-0-00275700-1316794234_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-82699800-1316794244_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-95608000-1316794252_thumb.jpg

The bucks should be cruising checking doe groups around that time, i'd take along a grunt and a doe bleat(can type or blown) if your watching trails the bucks will be using them as well to go from doe group to doe group looking for a doe that may be coming into heat. The bigger bucks will most likely not be in full out chase mode while some younger bucks may seem like they are chasing the does will want nothing to do with them. If your watching fields note the wind and where u see deer entering and exiting the field, if you have to move you'll know where to move to. As for that last couple of yards a bleat or grunt may work but keep in mind if your on the ground they will be looking for the "other deer" which was you. Make sure the trail your watching is in range!!! if not get closer to it.

Very good advice "G"... deer are very unpredictable.. especially good bucks.... and especially during mating season... don't worry so much about doing anything right or wrong.. test the waters... anything can and usual does happen... but doing nothing is what you don't want to do...have fun ... experiment and learn a little bit about the deer in your area... don't be afraid to grunt and bleat... agressive or subtle... bucks react differently in different situations... so have fun with it... thats what it's suppose to be...

Very good advice "G"... deer are very unpredictable.. especially good bucks.... and especially during mating season... don't worry so much about doing anything right or wrong.. test the waters... anything can and usual does happen... but doing nothing is what you don't want to do...have fun ... experiment and learn a little bit about the deer in your area... don't be afraid to grunt and bleat... agressive or subtle... bucks react differently in different situations... so have fun with it... thats what it's suppose to be...

also very good advice.

I would add that if you are going to still hunt (walk a little then stop and repeat) really take your time you'll be surprised at how many deer you can see just by slowly walking then stop and scan the woods for a while, maybe do a few grunting sessions then stay quiet, then move. You can cover a lot of area that way. You asked what you should do if you see deer that are far away and aren't headed your way. One thing I might suggest is try and study the deer buck or doe. Try and get a feeling of the deer's behavior, is it spooked or jumpy? Or if it's a buck does he have his nose to the ground on the trail of a doe? Sometimes noticing stuff like that will help you in closing the distance. Sometimes it's you that has to make a move to get in range. If you do try and move when his head is down or otherwise distracted. In stalking situations always be aware of what that wind is doing. I like to have a little spray bottle with buck urine, doe pee, or estrus if it's during the rut. When I have a deer in sight that I'm trying to stalk and I notice the wind changing direction or if it starts swirling I like to mist some scent in the air just to maybe fool that deer nose long enough to get the shot it sometimes will even make them come to you if' they're curious. Hope that helps a little.

Remember, "the rut" is not a one-dimensional thing. All the deer in any given population will not be doing the same thing at the same time. They have different hormone levels...

There is not one prescription for success that fits all scenarios that you will encounter.

My two scents is before you go...sit with yourself alone for a bit and set yourself a goal. What will you be happy with?

Second, just before the hunt starts, give yourself a serious pre-game coaching talk so that you hit the ground running. You are there to kill an animal.

When the moment comes, don't lose focus.

Sure, there are other great aspects to a hunt too...beauty of nature, new friends, etc. But sometimes when we are "smelling the roses" the rabbit gets away.

So don't lose focus.

And during the early part of November this year you might be in "a lull." That's what we call a slow-down in the rutting action between two high activity peaks when the bucks and does are not on their feet much during the daytime.

If this is the case, you may need to regroup.

In that case, scout-hunt (if they will let you) by still-hunting into the wind or thermals. You may have to find out where they are.

Get yourself a ghuile suite or leaf suit, especially if your on the ground. I would recommend ASAT.

Hunt pinch points where deer movement is concentrated. Look for wooded streams cutting through fields, the inside corners of fields, steep terrain where deer will travel "around" large hills instead of going over them, look for saddles etc.

Stick close to bedding areas or just thick cover in general. Bow isnt like gun you cant shoot as far as you can see. I like to take away a deers ability to see me before he is in range.

starting in 3 weeks look for road kill does and cut the hock glands off and use them as a sent instead of the bottled stuff.

You could also try smoking your cloths before the hunt (I am doing this for the first time this year so i cant tell you how well it will work as a cover sent).

Do you know where your outfitters boundaries are. If so post a link with a google pin and i would love to get a look at the layout of the property. If i can see areials and look at topos i could give you some more direction where I would pick to hunt.

You need to keep in mind a good spot for a gun is often a lousy spot for a bow you need to cut the distance considerably.

thanks for the advice. In regards of scent and what to wear. I have shot many bucks in Putnam County with the shotgun under 40 yards while sitting against a tree in Blaze Orange head to toe (pants, jacket, hat). I Never wear camo in gun season and wont be doing it for crossbow season in PA. I literally dont move and thats what probable helps me. I have no problem not moving anything but my head to look around for 3-4 hours straight.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld