Coming to NY

bikrsrule

I too am an outer stater & also from NH (raised on Long Island that may be worse LOL) & have been hunting 8N for 5 -6 years now & have always felt welcome by the locals

don't want to start anything but remember Buckrub91 how much money comes into your state though visitors my group of 4 drops over $5000 in the local economy for just a weeks stay not including what the state makes for our non resident licenses\

for the rest of you Thanks for making a fellow New Hampshirite feel welcome

New Question!!!!

Just got back from doing some scouting over in saratoga where we will be hunting in about a month..we have been granted access to a couple of fields that are bordered by small, (small) strips of woods, being a NH hunter and mainly hunt woods I am new to this field business, got any hints on the best tactics? Get in early morning and sit all day? etc..Any ideas would be great..

Look on the inside corners of the fields. Alot of the times deer will cut across these. Check for heavily worn trails in and near those corners. Also, if you have a small strip of cover where the corners of two tracts of woods meet up, theres a good chance that is a funnel area. Creek beds, etc can all be funnels too. Look at a good topo map of the area, if you can get aerial photos with a topo overlay, even better. You will start to see the spots to look at more closely on the ground. The DEC has a great interactive mapping tool that can give you topo, aerials, etc. You can find that here...

http://www.dec.ny.go...door/45415.html

Im assuming you live here in NY... And if you cant figure out why I would advice people to stay out you are probably part of the problem

Really? You think that keeping hunters out of the woods is the solution to the problems we face as hunters today? Honestly, the attitude you are showing here IS whats wrong with hunting today, and will do nothing other than to cause our problems to get worse. If you cant take a good look at things and figure that out, well I feel bad for you.

I have lived in NY too for nearly 45 years. I'm probably just as dense as Outdoorstom. I also want to know how are we part of the "problem"?

IMHO its the young wannabe "know-it-alls" that are the problem today especially when they show no respect to those who in fact do know better and deserve it. .

Really? You think that keeping hunters out of the woods is the solution to the problems we face as hunters today? Honestly, the attitude you are showing here IS whats wrong with hunting today, and will do nothing other than to cause our problems to get worse. If you cant take a good look at things and figure that out, well I feel bad for you.

Im not talking about the hunting in NY but the state as a whole

I have lived in NY too for nearly 45 years. I'm probably just as dense as Outdoorstom. I also want to know how are we part of the "problem"?

IMHO its the young wannabe "know-it-alls" that are the problem today especially when they show no respect to those who in fact do know better and deserve it. .

I dont know why you guys assume I am talking about hunting here... Im not Im talking about all the problems in this state as a whole and if you don't see anything wrong with NY compared to other states then you most definitely are part of the problem

Here Ill name a few

Assault weapon ban

Pistol restrictions

"High capacity" magazine ban

Taxes

Crooked cops galore

Unemployment

Now lets ignore all that and get to the part where you realize my initial post on this thread was not intended to be taken seriously

And you first call somebody a wannabe know it all then you go on to claim that you do in fact know better than everybody else... LOL give me a break

I dont know why you guys assume I am talking about hunting here... Im not Im talking about all the problems in this state as a whole and if you don't see anything wrong with NY compared to other states then you most definitely are part of the problem

Here Ill name a few

Assault weapon ban

Pistol restrictions

Taxes

Crooked cops galore

Unemployment

Now lets ignore all that and get to the part where you realize my initial post on this thread was not intended to be taken seriously

And you first call somebody a wannabe know it all then you go on to claim that you do in fact know better than everybody else... LOL give me a break

Last time I looked, this IS a "Hunting forum". I do agree with you regarding the politics and taxes in New York, (which BTW also exists in many other states)

I also suggest you reread my last post. I never claimed that "I" know better than everyone else. You are just assuming that. The point of my statement was all about giving respect to your fellow man/woman who actually do know better and who deserve the respect. This IMO has been the origin of many problems not only in New York but nationwide.

I do realize this is a hunting forum and the OP was talking about coming here to HUNT that is why my initial statement was not to be taken seriously

But to add something of use to this topic I will warn the OP I came here to hunt in the Adirondacks a couple years ago when I was not a NY resident and had a bit of trouble getting an out of state license for new york so be ready for that... I ended up having the kid behind the counter at Gander to call the DEC and have them approve me for a license.. I did end up getting it though after he called.. just a heads up

well, I did get my license in NY last weekend without a problem, I just want to do a little deer hunting with a new hunter. Thanks for the advice and good wishes, hope you all have a great season. The area I am going to be hunting does have some good creek bottoms so I will be sure to scope those out as funnel areas....

well, I did get my license in NY last weekend without a problem, I just want to do a little deer hunting with a new hunter. Thanks for the advice and good wishes, hope you all have a great season. The area I am going to be hunting does have some good creek bottoms so I will be sure to scope those out as funnel areas....

Im glad to here you got your license.Hope you have a great time in NY.Newyork realy is not that bad to visit or live.As allways good hunting shoot the bigone.

Buckrub91

I apologize I did think you did not want outer staters hunting & just to stay out of your state

I do agree with you that is why we moved to NH years ago "live free or Die"

we have none of the following here

Assault weapon ban

Pistol restrictions (concealed carry permit is very easy to get)

small amount ofUnemployment

Woods in the early morning, fields in the evening. Woods in mid day too.

I'll agree with this...

It is just very difficult to hunt an area you have no clue about. If you haven't scouted it or anything, its kind of just a crap shoot. Hopefully your son-in-law will have some insight and put you in a nice spot/stand.

Good luck!

Edited by SteveNY