Scent talk

sodfather

This is just something I want to ask you all, I used to try and hunt as much as possible after work, before work and weekends. Now I have two amazing children and hunting has been cut in half so I try to get out as much as I can but kids and household projects are part of my time. During my weekend hunts I wash with scent products and cloths are packed in a scent bag and am very careful when I enter the woods. Now after work i ovious dont get a chance to shower with scent free soap but do keep my cloths in the scent bag. I was reading somewhere (not here) that I could spoil my chances at taking a deer by entering the woods so the deer can smell me. I think these scent products has everyone thinking more than hunting. I do try and play the wind game but isnt all about just being n the woods, thats why I love to hunt like it was in the 80's before all these scent products came out. What do you guys sometimes over analyze things instead of just enjoying the time in the woods, I know I do from time to time. Those are my thoughts thanks for reading (Go Bills).

I use to buy all the scents try all the cover scents had to get scentlock gear etc. About 5 years ago I went older school. Quit all the bs and s

tarted focusing on hunting instead of the latest and greatest. I can say I have enjoyed myself far more now have harvested more consitantly and saved a lot of money. I have resorted to 1 scent brand and clothes wash detergent and a bottle of scent elimination spray. Play the wind game only hunt stands if conditions are right and a lot of preseason scouting and target shooting. Life is good again.

Oh no, i got sucked into another scent reduction post. I'll keep it brief. If your just into enjoying time in the woods then it doesn't matter if you swab yourself in Limburger cheese before you go out. My enjoyment comes from managing deer properties and hunting mature deer. It's pretty much yr. round. Every aspect of my "woods" experiences have something to do with managing and maintaining the healthy deer on our properties or clients properties, so my program includes a fair deal of scent control. BS to some who are at different stages of hunting or maybe get enjoyment in different ways than i do, but for me it's part of the equation. With two wonderful kids and limited time in the field, it makes perfect sence for you to just do what you can to limit your smells but just hunt smart like you already are. I think they help but they are not neccessary to fill tags or to be happy..

solfather,

Before I retired I hunted after work many days with out having the time to shower. The best thing I found to cover body scent. was and still is baking soda. You want to make sure that it is fresh , no older than a month.I would carry a box of it in my truck and when I got to my hunting ground, I would use it like talcum powder. I would put in my hat, behind my ears and in my hair. I would open my shirt and cover my front and back.I also would put it down my pants in my shorts and down my leggs. I was a plumber and some days I couldn't stand myself after a day at work. Believe when I tell you that baking soda is the best to cover human scent. Better than anything in the hunting world. Give it a try and let me know what you think.. I bow hunt on the ground and have for the last 30 years and have taken many buck at 15 to 20 yards and have many walk up to me with in 5 yards. It is the only thing I use to this day...

I am a play the wind guy... I guess I got lazy in my old age and just refuse to go through the scent free ritual every time I go out to hunt.. but scent control or at least keeping away from a whitetails nose is the key to success... what ever a hunter does to keep from being smelled is a plus... no matter what it is.