Heading upstate for my 4 day hunt

Deerthug

Where's the camp ?

Private land in Germantown. Saw 6-7 birds off to my right 25 yds all following each other but way too much brush to shoot over. Now I know where I'm gonna set up tomorrow morning.

Edited by jmasiakos

Well this morning I'm walking over to a stand where we found them ugly birds roosting. As I'm walking they are yelping at each other. I get into my stand not even 20 mins later 2 hens fly down. Took safety off, wait for them to get into my shooting lane, boom! Missed the first. Chamber another shell aim boom- missed the second. They are still in field at 30 yds. Go to chamber another and freaking gun jams on me. Could not get another shell into chamber. By then they were gone. There had to have been at least 20 birds roosting above me. I was so disgusted with myself. Waited another half hour. The rest flew down but far into the woods. I left disgusted. At least I know where they roost. Trying again this afternoon and tomorrow morning.

You missed a golden opportunity by not aggressively scattering the birds off the roost, then setting up and calling. That should have been a perfect setup.

Often if you scatter the birds well, you'll have several turkeys amswering and approaching from different directions...Lots of fun and excitement.

For me, THAT's what fall turkey hunting is all about.

Good luck. If you hear those birds on the roost again, don't be afraid to head directly at them and bust them out of the trees. Then stay in the general area and assembly yelp like an old hen..

Well those dang birds found another place to sleep tonite. But I did see a nice symmetrical 6 PT only 10 feet directly in front of my setup. He stood there for about 2 mins. Too bad it wasn't next Saturday. He would have been skewered.