Is it legal?

Marti375

Wasn't sure where to post this. I know it's legal to cary a 22 psitol during regular deer season, it's listed on DEC's web site under frequently asked questions. Is it legal to cary one during muzzleloading season? I have tried to email dec with no luck.

during muzzleloading season no you can not. I had a budy get a ticket and a hefty fine for doing so. I tried to tell him, but he thought he was above the law. I am glad he did to have to appear in front of me, cuz we prolly would not be friends

I knew you couldn't carry a pistol during the muzzle loading season.I use a ML year round and do carry my pistol during the rifle season.

"There is something new in the rules and regs. It states u cannot carry a semiauto handgun with a barrel length shorter than 8 inches holding more with a capacity of more than 6 rounds that pretty much eliminates all semiautos "

I can't find the above in the book,where did you find that info?

thanks,

Steve

On page 18 under the manner of taking it does make an exception for. 22 & .17 cal but all other handguns I guess it depends on who your game warden is if you take it into the woods you are hunting with it. Becareful fellas they keep changing the rules and we don't even notice until its too late

• Like 1

If you go to DEC's web site look under frequently asked questions. They have section in there on it but they way its worded I'm unsure. The only reason I ask is because I go deep in the woods. Couple years ago a buddy of mine shot a deer and we knew we weren't going to make it out before dark. Long story short we had an issue with a coyote that night. Should this happen again i would like to have my 22 with me.

I have to check cilabus but to my understanding no hand gun can be carried during the muzzle loading and bow only seasons. During the rifle season a pistol can be carried with a vaild NYS pistol permit.

Is that not the case in the new rule book?

no new reg. it was read wrong this is what it states it is unlawful to hunt with "An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches." also here with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, EXCEPT the following semi-automatic firearms:

1. firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or
  2. firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
  3. autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.

Heres some cut and pasting from DEC website.

All hunters participating in the muzzleloading season must follow these requirements in addition to the other regulations in this guide.

Hunters shall not have in their possession, or be accompanied by a person who has in his or her possession, a bow or firearm other than the legal muzzleloading firearm.

Q: Can I carry my .22 caliber rim-fire handgun with me while I'm big game hunting?

A: Yes, but only during the regular deer season or early and regular bear seasons and only if you have a NYS pistol permit. You may not use the .22 caliber rim-fire as a primary or secondary weapon to take deer or bear. You may not possess a firearm of any description while bowhunting.

I now am really confused the first part says I cannot have in my possesion a bow in the legal muzzleloading season? What??? Never hunt the late ML in Southern tier but why is it that teh northern bow and ML season over lap then. I dont get this.

Edited by wdswtr

If you go to DEC's web site look under frequently asked questions. They have section in there on it but they way its worded I'm unsure. The only reason I ask is because I go deep in the woods. Couple years ago a buddy of mine shot a deer and we knew we weren't going to make it out before dark. Long story short we had an issue with a coyote that night. Should this happen again i would like to have my 22 with me.

shoot it with the muzzleloader

Edited by bubba

Go back and read the first paragraph of my last post. That was copied directly from DEC website. Hunters shall not have in their possession, or be accompanied by a person who has in his or her possession, a bow or firearm other than the legal muzzleloading firearm.

The answer is no you cannot carry it during ML.

• 2 weeks later...
What if you have an UNRESTRICTED pistol permit and carry it??? Unrestricted means for personal defense and all other times. Don't see how you can get a fine for that.
Nope. Can't carry it. Edited by Ford

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html#Muzzleloading

It's all right there in the syllabus.

"The legal firearm for this season is a muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season. If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License.

• Hunters shall not have in their possession, or be accompanied by a person who has in his or her possession, a bow or firearm other than the legal muzzleloading firearm."

There is something new in the rules and regs. It states u cannot carry a semiauto handgun with a barrel length shorter than 8 inches holding more with a capacity of more than 6 rounds that pretty much eliminates all semiautos

Not really you can always modify a mag to hold only 6 shots