Saw an absolute stud!

Geno C

Well i was driving up state to Chemung County for a family wedding and we left at 1am. on the way up we had a bright full moon and i was as ready as i can be for a deer at any moment to sprint across the road due to SO MANY deer feeding on the side of the road all night.

Well anyways, i was driving on the through way wife and dogs asleep and about a mile before i got to harriman for Rt17 right there feeding on the side was a MONSTER! Huge buck, in the 130s maybe just feeding with some does. His rack and tine length were VERY high and he had a very nice spread, more height then anything.

well needless to say i was pumped and started being vocal enough for the wife to fly up out of her seat as she insisted i was an indiot for being so loud over a deer LOL!! and went back to sleep...

If anyone has seen him on cam or in person he sure is a great buck!

I always scan those fields to the right on the Thruway before 17, there is always something in there :) I hardly ever go that way anymore because cutting through the Palisades or Jersey Rt 17 seems faster.

And also, the only time my wife got excited about a deer is last weekend when we were right around from the cabin, the deer was on the side of the road, and I pulled over rolled down the window, and started a conversation with it. She thought that was funny. Other then that, she is like oh wow, another deer, yawn.

Well i was driving up state to Chemung County for a family wedding and we left at 1am. on the way up we had a bright full moon and i was as ready as i can be for a deer at any moment to sprint across the road due to SO MANY deer feeding on the side of the road all night.

Well anyways, i was driving on the through way wife and dogs asleep and about a mile before i got to harriman for Rt17 right there feeding on the side was a MONSTER! Huge buck, in the 130s maybe just feeding with some does. His rack and tine length were VERY high and he had a very nice spread, more height then anything.

well needless to say i was pumped and started being vocal enough for the wife to fly up out of her seat as she insisted i was an indiot for being so loud over a deer LOL!! and went back to sleep...

If anyone has seen him on cam or in person he sure is a great buck!

Was this Friday night/Saturday morning?? I was driving up Friday and saw a beautiful 130ish class buck in the same exact area around 1030-1045pm.

About a week ago I was on my way over to drop my daughter off at her mom's when I noticed a guy standing next to his truck looking at something. I know he was glassing, so I stopped to see what he was looking at. There in the field stood 2 very nice bucks, one was an 8, just outside the ears, but nice and tall with a good body on him. Id say he was probably 3.5, but the other one was a big 10 with great tine length and very wide. His body was significantly larger, and Id say 5.5 or older. My daughter and I were taking turns looking at them through the binos as they fed, and my fiance started getting a little aggravated until I handed her the binos. Then she got it. B)

Sounds exactly like my wife Geno LOL!!!!! She thinks I'm insane because I get excited just seeing a tree rubbed by a buck.

LOL mine too! its so funny. her face when she flew up realized why i was excited and went back to sleep in the passenger seat was priceless! lol

Hey Fellow Hunters(Bow),

You might be happy to hear that parts of Harriman were opened to hunting back in 2009 and are now open once again. Check out this information below.

Bear Mountain-Harriman State Parks: Hikers should be aware that hunting is allowed this year in the area of Harriman west of Route 87 and into Sterling Forest State Park. Other areas of Harriman-Bear Mountain are not open to hunting.

Sterling Forest State Park: Note that the Wildcat Mountain Trail is now entirely within the hunting area. North of Route 17A the hunting area continues to include the Sapphire (except for the Appalachian Trail Corridor), Indian Hill, Furnace, Townsend and Long Meadow Extension Trails. The former archery-only area located north of Greenwood Lake, west of Penaluna Road, is now an antler-restricted firearms hunting area. For complete details call the park at 845-351-5907

Good luck to all this season!

StripedBuck

My wife can't stand to ride with me any more. She claims i don't even watch the road , i just constantly keep scanning the fields and woodlots as were cruisin' down the highway. She's pretty much right but thats the way dad tought us to drive in the country, i tell her.

lol good point...

funny part is i have the wife scan also while im driving, she usually spots em too but not many deer she can spot sleepin lol. me on the other hand driving a few hour trip in the early am with a car full of sleeping people and dogs i can do much but drive and scan lol