A little work on nice day..

Still to much snow here for frost seeding ,but I did get out and get some more apple trees pruned few crossing and interior limbs ,mostly got rid of bear damaged limbs that were broke. Took  top off  of one tree they busted pretty good.20200304_095325.thumb.jpg.20013d378d5f42909aa494ccc9ae6fcc.jpg46501.thumb.jpeg.739cfcc6ab2089efc4a54d61393067d1.jpeg

will let limbs sit about 2 weeks and put camera on them, deer will clean them up pretty good before I pull and pile them. To frost seed under trees.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

was thinking about frost seeding some clover this weekend.

Was hoping to looks like snow friday here and unless its south facing slope there is a lot of hard icy snow.. I'll prolly frost seed after next winter season20200305_081444.thumb.jpg.f289c181e9b2aac81591a210305d0963.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

was thinking about frost seeding some clover this weekend.

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Still to much snow here for frost seeding ,but I did get out and get some more apple trees pruned few crossing and interior limbs ,mostly got rid of bear damaged limbs that were broke. Took  top off  of one tree they busted pretty good.20200304_095325.thumb.jpg.20013d378d5f42909aa494ccc9ae6fcc.jpg46501.thumb.jpeg.739cfcc6ab2089efc4a54d61393067d1.jpeg

will let limbs sit about 2 weeks and put camera on them, deer will clean them up pretty good before I pull and pile them. To frost seed under trees.

Can you guys explain the "frost seeding" thing? No snow here all winter. Temps are high 50's this weekend and maybe touch 70 on Monday. Is it as simple as throwing seed without even raking and letting it settle in somehow on its own?

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Can you guys explain the "frost seeding" thing? No snow here all winter. Temps are high 50's this weekend and maybe touch 70 on Monday. Is it as simple as throwing seed without even raking and letting it settle in somehow on its own?

It is, but you need frost heave to draw the seed into the ground.  I don't think it will work well if temps stay above 50.   I forgot if you have an atv but you can just spread and run the seed over if you are planting small seed like clover.  Or rake it on very small plots.  If it snows tomorrow, I doubt I will do it this weekend.

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It is, but you need frost heave to draw the seed into the ground.  I don't think it will work well if temps stay above 50.   I forgot if you have an atv but you can just spread and run the seed over if you are planting small seed like clover.  Or rake it on very small plots.  If it snows tomorrow, I doubt I will do it this weekend.

Thanks. So really no different than me leaf blowing, raking ground and spreading seed in the spring or early fall?

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thanks. So really no different than me leaf blowing, raking ground and spreading seed in the spring or early fall?

Not if you don't have frost.  With frost seeding its spread, walk away and let mother nature do her job.  I mentioned the other method because you are at 50 plus

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Biz.   

You should still get a few days/ nights of frost .it get the seed in the ground with no work other than walking to spread it, also very.usefull to fill in bare spots in existing plots. Done with " hard seed " clover, alfalfa for example.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not the nicest afternoon for it today, but I picked up my dad and we hiked to the cabin.  Tractor fired right up!  Put some diesel treatment in it.  On the way out saw 3 hens with 2 long beards.  Might have to do some discing this Friday, and plant the Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover in the raised blind plot in Saturday.  

Edited by UpStateRedNeck