.223 or .556

NonTypical

I’d like to know what most people prefer between the two. I’m in the market for a new gun. I realize that a .556 can shoot either round, and a .223 can’t. Ballistics wise, is there any advantage on .556? Also is the NATO round priced about the same as the .223 and just as available or should I just get a .223 and be done with it?

7 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

So a .223 Wylde can shoot the .556 round better than a .556 barrel? Sounds like a no brainer then. 

Wylde is supposed to remain accurate despite pressure differences between 223 and 556.  My 223 is a Wylde and very accurate with 223 hunting ammo but if I had to choose between 223 and 556, 223 it would be.  For what it’s worth I also read that even shooting 556 in a 223 is highly unlikely to have any ill effects but still not recommended.  One test showed that among 2 556 barrels and 1 223 barrel, the 223 barrel fell in the middle for pressure when shooting the same 556 ammo.  In other words, it made no difference. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! I've only had my first AR a short time, and I love shooting it. So fun to shoot. I think you'll feel the same.

So many options for optics on an AR. I settled for middle of the road, with a 3x9x40 Nikon that I already had laying around. Pretty good for what I'm using it for now. Plinking and daylight coyotes. But will probably pick up something with a lighted reticle in the future.

Good luck with the new baby! Post up some range pic's!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Looking good!  There’s tons of options for scopes/sights/red dots.. it all depends what you plan on using it for.  

I’m thinking a red dot. It’s pretty much going to be a plinking gun for me. I did get a set of sights with it so I’ll put them on for now. 
And I just found a 1000 round box online. So I might get to the range sooner than later. Can’t wait!

Edited by NonTypical

8 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I’m thinking a red dot. It’s pretty much going to be a plinking gun for me. I did get a set of sights with it so I’ll put them on for now. 
And I just found a 1000 round box online. So I might get to the range sooner than later. Can’t wait!

I have a vortex strikefire.  I’m really happy with it.  It’s a little on the heavy side for red dot, but it’s a nice big diameter.  Perfect for fun at the range under 100 yards.  Mine is only red, but they make one thats red or green.  

2F1B87C6-788F-4B90-BC54-E8AC73F09479.jpeg

• Like 2