Bear meat

Tonyjoe

I am new to the area. I am in the Army and have recently moved to West Point and am looking for a bear to put on the wall next to my AK black bear. The black bear I shot in Alaska was awesome and it had some of the tastiest meat I have ever had. I know one of the main reasons for that was because the area I got him in was an area where the bears ate almost 100% berries. I had heard if I shot one who lived near a salmon stream he would taste fishy instead of sweet like mine.

Does anyone eat their bear they harvest in NY? If so do you find a problem with the meat tasting bad because of their diet? I want to ensure the meat is not going to be bad before I spend the money on a butcher to process it and I end of with bad tasting meat.

Thanks,

Tonyjoe

Maybe bear over bait but here in NY with no baiting and depending on what they eat mine was delicious I made chilli for camp with chunks of black bear and venison the bear dissolved in your mouth. My bro actually had one he guessed at 250 at about 45 yrds outside a swamp on Sunday but it presented no shot and that is a tricky spot things can go MIA in that swamp quite easy.

I am hoping to see one while I am out deer hunting. I will probably not actively look for one, but if the opportunity presents itself I will not complain. I got lucky with my Alaska bear and shot him in the spring right after hibernation. When he was processed they had to add beef fat so he was not so dry. Best meat ever though.

I've killed a few bears in Canada & 1 in Maine...the meat tasted just fine to me, not as strong as deer, just a little chewy. I was warned to make sure it is cooked through & NOT to make smoked items (jerky, ring bologna, slim-jims) out of it because bears often have trichnosis; not sure if it's true, but didn't want to chance it. Good luck getting one out of the woods, feels like you're dragging 300# of dead weight.

much like deer the meat taste is effected by what they eat. I took one in Canad and it was a bait hunt.....the outfit only used grain and meat for bait....meat was wonderfuland my daughters favorite. My father took one 2 years ago in the very southern range of the NZ bear area. Is is Ag land and the bears had been eating corn all summer and early fall. That was even better than the one I took in Canada....now that said...prior to those two I had tried bear twice and I know both were taken up north in proximity to dumps....they stunk when you skinned them and the meat tasted like crap.

I have read that bears can have trichnosis.....but like I tell everyone that says they do not like venison "how do you eat your beef".....my opinion ...venison or bear cooked more that medium is junk....tough and gamey.....I do both bear and venison medium rare to medium.

Culver... I am a big fan of rare to MR game meat also, depending on the CUT, of course.

However, bear meat ALWAYS has the risk of trichinosis. Think about it. Hogs eat ANYTHING...Bears eat ANYTHING...

Read up on it.. It is a nasty affliction.. It involves wormlike creatures living in your muscle tissue, possibly including your HEART muscles.

I think I'd eat my deer, elk , caribou ,moose and antelope rare, and use my bear meat for recipes that involve cooking it slow and well done, like stews.

Eating bear less than well done is risky.

If the bear was eating wild where it was taken, and it is properly handled after the kill, it should taste good. It is very important to cool the meat as quickly as possible on a bear. Bear fur insulates very well and the meat will spoil very quickly if not cooled fast. That's why bear are often skinned in the field right after they are gutted. All of the above advice is also important, but cool that bear meat as fast as you can too.

• 2 weeks later...