Double bearded turkey

Water Rat

I’ve taken my fair share of turkeys over the years but I never got one with multiple beards. In fact , I’ve never even seen one until today. Found this guy at the bird feeder. He’s real skittish and he won’t let me get to close before he scoots.AEA3173A-F15F-4AF9-B903-4BB73DA8B745.thumb.png.3eff74665142b8b112e1f215700bbc75.png

• Like 6

He's a good one.  Shot a triple beard 25+ yrs ago.  
11.25, 7.5, and 2.75.  the third one was only 4or5 strands thick. 

Idk how that third even qualifies as a beard since it's only 5 strands thick

Call Me The Teflon Don

8 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Idk how that third even qualifies as a beard since it's only 5 strands thick

Call Me The Teflon Don

Had it's own base.  Never seen in any rule book that states the# of strands to be considered a beard. 

I've shot a couple nice birds over the yrs that had 9-10" beards with only a few strands. Winter can shorten or damage the beard. 

Had it's own base.  Never seen in any rule book that states the# of strands to be considered a beard. 
I've shot a couple nice birds over the yrs that had 9-10" beards with only a few strands. Winter can shorten or damage the beard. 
Oh for sure beard rot is real! And that's awesome 3 different bases. I've only shot singles and even then only 2. I'd love to get a multi beard bird! Definitely would get it stuffed for sure

Call Me The Teflon Don

Just now, The Jerkman said:

Oh for sure beard rot is real! And that's awesome 3 different bases. I've only shot singles and even then only 2. I'd love to get a multi beard bird! Definitely would get it stuffed for sure

Call Me The Teflon Don

I did have that bird mounted. Unfortunately, back then I didn't have a lot of spare money. Took bird to a friend of a friend.  3 months after getting bird back, it started dropping feathers, and had a faint odor. Didn't last long after that.  

I did have that bird mounted. Unfortunately, back then I didn't have a lot of spare money. Took bird to a friend of a friend.  3 months after getting bird back, it started dropping feathers, and had a faint odor. Didn't last long after that.  
Ah man that blows!

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 1

That’s a nice double beard. A trophy for sure. Both beards look equal in length and thickness. Many times there is one solid beard and a few thin ones when you have a multiple bearded tom. But it’s the number of filaments that matters. One old turkey hunter once told me a multiple bearded bird is like shooting a buck with drop tines. 

My first bird ever was a triple bearded tom. 9.5, 8.5, 8. 3 solid beards. it was in 2011 in Schoharie County. A record book bird with the NWTF and SCI. I went turkey hunting for the first time and went with my dad who has always been an avid deer hunter but never turkey hunted. Beginners luck and the trip got us hooked on turkey hunting ever since. I know I’ll never match that bird. I got a full mount done. 

Edited by rjrdomer
Added word
  • Like 3

I would have to go through them to remember for sure, but I know I have Two full 9.5 inch double beards, one 8.0" inch double beard,  one quadruple beard with a main heavy beard and 3 smaller ones, and my personal favorite, which has a huge, thick paintbrush main beard and a smaller beard...I think there is another one or two, but I'd have to sort through my beard collection to know for sure...The quad beard was taken in Kentucky, one of the doubles in Canada( just last year)  and the rest taken here  in NY....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rjrdomer said:

That’s a nice double beard. A trophy for sure. Both beards look equal in length and thickness. Many times there is one solid beard and a few thin ones when you have a multiple bearded tom. But it’s the number of filaments that matters. One old turkey hunter once told me a multiple bearded bird is like shooting a buck with drop tines. 

My first bird ever was a triple bearded tom. 9.5, 8.5, 8. 3 solid beards. it was in 2011 in Schoharie County. A record book bird with the NWTF and SCI. I went turkey hunting for the first time and went with my dad who has always been an avid deer hunter but never turkey hunted. Beginners luck and the trip got us hooked on turkey hunting ever since. I know I’ll never match that bird. I got a full mount done. 

Can I trade the double beard I got last Saturday for a drop tine????