What shot makes a deer kick up hind legs?

older042

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Nice poke at 355. 

Thanks .270 winchester 130 gr. Nosler boattail that was an exit hole. Wasn't a giant bodied deer but at 355 yards I saw him limping and figured someone broke his leg.

Honestly thought it was 250 (no range finder) used the BDC in my nikon and drilled him. Using the Nikon app my reloads were going a little faster than 3100 fps.

Edited by chas0218

Know what makes a deer kick it's hind legs?  Getting attacked by a predator jumping on it's hind end like a mountain lion.  When a predator jumps on them from behind, they will all do it.

I believe it's an instinctive reaction to an attack when the deer feels it's coming from behind.  I guess some shots make a deer feel that's what is happening.  Or perhaps individual deer just react differently to being shot.  I do not think you can tell where you hit a deer by it's reaction to being hit.

• 1 month later...

Mule kicks for me resulted in heart shot with tail down. Deer looking like they were shot out of a cannon or starting gate of the Kentucky Derby meant center punched double lungs and tail up. Hunches and tail down and slow walk after a few jog steps has been stomach. Intestines usually result in further running before the hunching and quick bedding.

It's not a rule but the exceptions to it seem rare for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2016 at 8:52 AM, stubby68 said:

I think it is all the way the body reacts to the hit. Some kick, some run,some drop dead, flip drop low,some just do not react at all and just walk away. Not every deer reacts to a hit the same way as others. Even with same shot place meet you can have different reactions from 2 different deer. One guy makes heart shot says deer just ran. Thought he missed. Another guy makes a heart shot says deer kicked fell to ground then got up and ran 40 yards. Two deer see shot different reactions.

I agree. There is no hard fast rule. FT