Almost time to start

G-Man

I usually get my stands hung in july, so getting them out of the barn and safety testing them.. this is by no means a scientific test , but I strap them 6inches off ground and have my fat self jump on them.  

Replace bad cables ,worn straps, hit the steel ones with sandpaper and some paint if need be,repair seats, ect.  A little maintenance goes a long way, I have many old stands from api and loggy bayou that are from the early 90s. Still in great shape. ( aluminum) of course straps and cables have been replaced as needed. 

Having 36 plus stands is an accumulation over the years and it is a chore taking them down and putting back up.  But it's an important step many unfortunately do not do..  take the time to do a little test yourself and repair , the life you save could be your own or a friend or family members.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

When do you start scouting and hanging hanging stands? There are sooo many ticks on the island that I usually do most of my scouting right after the season and move stands accordingly during the season. I know this isn’t the best practice, hence the question. 

I scout year round,  a lot in june and july.with binoculars looking for soft and hard mast on the trees, I've owned this land since 93 and know it very well.but , crops and mast effect exact placements. Deadfalls from storms, logging , new neighbors , also factor in. 

I have a lot of stands to hang and trim so by mid july.i start and get a couple up a week. Trimming shooting lanes takes the longest time and is much easier with 2 people.

• Like 1

there is logging behind my land on the state /county property, and I had to pull all my stands back there. I can barely recognize the land now, but I think actually it will be a good thing. I threw down 20 lbs of throw and grow on the logging paths. I think they are finishing up. Over the next few weeks I will get busy getting my stands back up (officially not supposed to be there, but they are inexpensive usually well hidden stands, and over 12 years no one has ever bothered them. 

• Like 2