44 Mag pistol loads for Deer

Buckheart

Lets keep it on the low side of the handguns. I am refering to 9mm, 44 mag, 45, 38. If you start to go up in calibers like the 454, 50's etc. Yes they are much more like a low rifle round... But I don't want to use a handgun that all most blows my wrist off shooting it... Kinda makes those follow up shots I like so much impossible... Those were not mentioned here as deer rounds and I would rather have that in a rifle for easy follow up shots.

I would agree NFA-ADK. For me I would put the 44 Mag at the low end of the Medium game round. 50 yards and in. I carried my 357 last year and that was mainly because...well.....because I finally could...lol. I will carry it again but it is a back up and mainly to finish or a quick close follow up with my ML in shotgun areas.

• Like 1

Eddie...that was one of the calibers I wanted in my Encore. I wanted that or the 7mm-08. Ended up with the 308....couldn't pass up the deal. I really wanted that 7mmor bullet though

The 7-30 is another wildcat cartridge . Buying bullets was expensive and also difficult . Federal was the only loads I could find ( 120 gr ) so I started reloading them .

I took the wrong bullets on a hunt and fire formed the cartridge when I shot the doe with a reload . On another site , a couple guys said do a regular load instead of messing around fire forming cases before reloading them .

I was looking into reloading those. couldn't you just run the 30-30 brass (really lubed up) through a 7-30 sizing die then fire form to you chamber. You could just neck size from there? right?

I am just neck sizing my 308 ammo for the Encore. the second time I shot it the pattern closed up by half compared for factory fresh brass. I am on the 3rd reloading and the guage still hasn't allowed any trimming.

How hot were you loading the rounds?

My buddy reloaded my 44 rounds for me and wow what a differance. Much better grouping with a little less drop. He made them much stronger than a handgun round and they worked great. Big dif when you reload thats for sure!

Point clear, know the limitations of your weapon and use it ethically...

My main point would be why limit yourself unless you are in a limited area?

Kinda goes back to the right tool for the right job... Hangun in treestand = bow in tree stand... Both will work within thier limits... Yet if I had 100 plus yard shooting lane I would prefer high power. All up to the situation and hunter... If it works for you use it if not throw it away. I must admit that is pretty cool getting a doe with a handgun FastEddie!