Put some meat in the freezer!

nygooseduster26

After a long 3 day weekend, sunday morning turned out to be the day i would get my chance! I took a shot at a big 8 point early this season and went just below his vitals and i was aiming to get that buck but sunday was my last day i could hunt so i was willing to shoot any deer as long as it wasnt a fawn. I got in my ladder stand well before light and enjoyed the nice sunrise and awakening of the wildlife around me. My father was hunting about 300 yards behind me in another ladder stand. I hadnt seen anything yet by 6:45. At 6:56 I got a text from my father that said "Small buck coming your way, looks like hes gonna skirt the edge of the woods above you." I instantly stood up and grabbed my bow. Less than a minute later I spotted him coming through the woods behind me right to me. He was trotting pretty quick to me. He stopped trotting 15 yards behind me and Started to slowly walk towards me. He got right below me and sniffed the rail of my ladder and didnt like it and jumped back behind me and just looked around. I drew my bow back and waited for my shot. He was straight away from me so i waited until i got a good shot. He turned and gave me a good quartering away shot at 12 yards and I squeezed the trigger and watched my arrow disappear at the back of his ribcage, at center body. He did the famous "Donkey Kick" and ran up across the field and stood there a few seconds before starting to trot and went into a pile out of sight. I gave it until 10:00 and tracked him to the spot he expired. He was just a 6 point that weighed in at 117.8 lbs dressed. It was a great hunt!

Pics to come later! Thanks guys. I'll post some pics of the buck my father shot the first day and was not recovered. The landowner found it unfortunately too late. Just so nobody gets fired up, it was a very valid tracking job. 6 hours on the foot by ourselves and another 8 hours with NY deer search tracking dog.