chrisw

Rack Deformity thoughts?

Recommended Posts

So, last year we had a cool looking buck hanging around until mid October then he vanished. He resurfaced Thanksgiving morning (on cell cam). Got sporadic pics of him the rest of the winter then he disappeared again. I was really hoping to tag him last year but I never saw him. We'll fast forward to this spring and I found his deformed left side antler.

He recently showed back up on camera, but the odd thing is that his antlers completely switched sides? His deformed rack bears the same qualities it did last year but on the opposite sides. Last year I assumed that he had sustained some sort of injury to his right side (body) causing the left antler to grow odd and that the left would be odd again... Any thoughts on this? I've never seen a deers rack flip flop characteristics? IMG950446.jpgScreenshot_20191212-100744.jpgIMG_20200310_165809379.jpgScreenshot_20200722-045424.jpgScreenshot_20200803-224409.jpg

 

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisw said:

 

So, last year we had a cool looking buck hanging around until mid October then he vanished. He resurfaced Thanksgiving morning (on cell cam). Got sporadic pics of him the rest of the winter then he disappeared again. I was really hoping to tag him last year but I never saw him. We'll fast forward to this spring and I found his deformed left side antler.

He recently showed back up on camera, but the odd thing is that his antlers completely switched sides? His deformed rack bears the same qualities it did last year but on the opposite sides. Last year I assumed that he had sustained some sort of injury to his right side (body) causing the left antler to grow odd and that the left would be odd again... Any thoughts on this? I've never seen a deers rack flip flop characteristics? IMG950446.jpgScreenshot_20191212-100744.jpgIMG_20200310_165809379.jpgScreenshot_20200722-045424.jpgScreenshot_20200803-224409.jpg

 

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

 

 

 

The picture of the palmated shed and the 2019 deer dont match IMHO. I think its a different deer and the shed antler is from the deer which has the right rise messed up in 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

The picture of the palmated shed and the 2019 deer dont match IMHO. I think its a different deer and the shed antler is from the deer which has the right rise messed up in 2020

Definitely two different deer,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call on 2 different deer, it looks like that’s the case. Very cool to have a couple of interesting racks running around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big shed matches the one 2019 buck IMO.. 2 brows on left side... the rest of that rack seems identical to me.. The other 10/2019 buck seems to only have 1 brow on the left side unless its just the angle. but the deer both seem very close to the shed to me.. I still say same deer. 

As for the 2020 pics, as long as your pics didnt get flipped somehow someway I guess its possible? or he may have been injured? IDK, maybe even different buck..  but cool buck regardless

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The big shed matches the one 2019 buck IMO.. 2 brows on left side... the rest of that rack seems identical to me.. The other 10/2019 buck seems to only have 1 brow on the left side unless its just the angle. but the deer both seem very close to the shed to me.. I still say same deer. 
As for the 2020 pics, as long as your pics didnt get flipped somehow someway I guess its possible? or he may have been injured? IDK, maybe even different buck..  but cool buck regardless
I'm with you on the same deer. The odds of having 2 deer on the same piece with a big bladed pickle fork looking antler are too slim to me. The deer last year did have 2 brows at the base of the deformed antler, we didn't even realize it until late in the season when we got an angled picture of him. And the opposite antler, (his right antler last year and his left this year) the brow is way up on the main beam. I'm really confident it the same deer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The picture of the palmated shed and the 2019 deer dont match IMHO. I think its a different deer and the shed antler is from the deer which has the right rise messed up in 2020
It's definitely the same deer. There's no question the shed and the 2019 buck are the same, big palmated with 2 tines off the top and 2 brow tines at the base. We essentially watched him on and off from September through April on trail cams, there's no other deer around that's even 1% similar.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, chrisw said:

It's definitely the same deer. There's no question the shed and the 2019 buck are the same, big palmated with 2 tines off the top and 2 brow tines at the base. We essentially watched him on and off from September through April on trail cams, there's no other deer around that's even 1% similar.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
 

Maybe the angle of the picture of the shed gave me that perception. I am sure you know deer much better than i. If its the same deer then yes I have never seen deer switch antler sides due to injury but mostly likely has funky genetics. Would be interesting if possible to let it go one more yr to see what it does next yr.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe the angle of the picture of the shed gave me that perception. I am sure you know deer than i. If its the same deer then yes I have never seen deer switch antler sides due to injury but mostly likely has funky genetics. Would be interesting if possible to let it go one more yr to see what it does next yr.
Yea I understand that a short paragraph and a handful of pics is tricky to get the whole picture but I was pretty obsessed with this one particular buck last year as I love the big abnormal racks. I studied everything I could about him Everytime he showed up. I'm pretty sure I saw him this spring at the end of May while hanging a new stand. A big buck and a year old buck stepped out of cover into the beans, the buck was 3x the size of the dink buck, thick bases. Well now this buck in question is hanging with a year old 6 point.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.