Hawthorn, Hackberry, Hazelnut

I read a few months back that the chestnut is also a great option. By the sounds of it the produce quite alot of crop. The way it sounded they will start producing nuts around the 5 year mark. Supposedly they are the go to nut for deer but since they got wiped out in the US many years ago not too many around unless they were planted. I will be ordering some for the spring myself.

Hazelnuts are good if you can keep the squirrels away from them, i prefer chestnuts myself, the are many varietys available, look for crosses with american though as it is truly a forest tree,while pure chineese are an orchard tree. The American chestnut foundation, wild turkey federation also have and sell seedlings as well. You can get pure american fron your countys soil and water conservation district as well. these will eventully die in 15-20 years but will produce and grow back from stumps readilly.

I have good luck with Hazelnut and bad luck with American chestnut. The American chestnut is very difficult to get established. I lost all 50 I planted to disease. Never tried the china ones but may give them a try. I still like apples as the favorite

If you buy Chestnut trees you need to make sure they are blight tolerant. Remeber Blight is what wiped them out in the first place. Make sure you do your homework before just running out and getting them. I believe most need 2 different varieties to pollinate and produce the nuts. I will be going with the Dustan myself its a cross between teh american and chinese chestnut. Got to do a tad more homework yet to make sure whether this variety needs another to pollinate.

Edited by wdswtr

Hazelnuts need alot of sun and great growing conditions ex..ph ballance..the deer and squirrels wiped most of mine out. i like the chestnut, were once considered a weed tree,as the grew in every hedge row. i have about 10 that have sprouted from squirrel planted nuts and at 4 years old? maybe 5 or 6 as i didnt plant them but noticed them 2 years ago produced some nuts this year, best of all they perfer acid soil so no extra soil prep! planted mine in an old pine plantation and they took off! Oaks can and do lose bud to from nuts due to a late frost besides being cyclical... most people think oak because they never saw or read up on chestnuts..in the 1800's 1 in every 4 trees was a chestnut!! oaks were only able to compete due to the loss of chestnut to blight... Maybe the passenger pigion wasn't just hunted to extinction but loss off food/ habitat..... lot of food dissapeared with the chestnut...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

back to topic, i have a easier time with chestnut as they are a tree and grow out of deer's eating hight, while the hazelnnut is a bush 10' high if they get a chance to grow.. deer eat mine down all the time.. Hawthorn are like an apple deer browse and need time to mature again sm tree needing sunlight. tought to compare tree's vs shrubs as most shrubs require full sun.