Reminder: Guns aren't toys.

Elmo

Just got a call from my brother a little while ago. He took a round to the chest. Fortunately he was wearing a vest. They were conducting a training session and one of the other soldier's gun went off accidentally. Round riccochet off of a wall and hit my bro in the chest. He got checked out by the medic and luckily the wall and vest stopped everything. Hearing this reminds me that we have to be extra careful when handling a dangerous weapon and remind those around you as well because if it isn't you, it could very well be the guy next to you.

Dang, glad he's alright. What round did he get hit with if you don't mind my asking?

5.56 NATO. I talked to him again after he got out of the hospital and he clarified. The shot actually hit him in the back, not the chest. He was training some guys to breach a room and the guy behind him accidentally let off a round. Shot hit the wall and bounced into his back. Physically, he only ended up with a bruise and now a stiff back. He took sniper rounds twice in Iraq and his vest saved him each time so mentally he seems unfazed.

Update: My brother isn't worst for wear but he feels bad for the guy who shot him because he has been fired. Fired in the military in a sense that this is a privilege position that you have to get accepted into. They beat out a ton of candidates for this position. Higher pay, gets to work in NYC (which in many cases for these soldiers means getting to work at home). The guy goes back to his normal military post and probably also demoted.