Hog hunt for my son

Skillet

Hey all, I'm looking for a good place in NY or PA to take my son on a hog hunt. He will be 9 in April. Before I get bashed for taking him to a high fence operation, understand that I have explained it to him. He knows that it is different than a wild hunt. He spends as much time as possible in the woods with me, squirrel and turkey hunting mostly. The kid is dying to hunt. He is doing great in school. He has shown great respect for nature and the animals, as well as being very responsible with the 22 I got for him last year. I want to take him on this hunt as a reward for how proud he has made me. It will give him an experience to hold him over until he can hunt in NY. I'm looking for a place that is affordable, as well as being a realistic and enjoyable experience for him. Any ideas on where to go? Anybody had any positive or negative experiences at any preserves in the area of NY or PA? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Skillet

I've been to Double Boar Ranch in northwestern Pa. When I went there it had pure european boars and it was as close to a real hunt as you can get. I enjoyed it enough to go back a second time. First time with a handgun and the second time with my 35Rem. Last year it was sold to another operator and I'm hoping it will be run as well as it was with the original owners.

http://doubleboarranch.com/

post-406-0-65787400-1322690172_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-09502700-1322690189_thumb.jpg

Coldbrook was 200 acres . Treestand hunting ,no dogs. A bunch of us went with our bows in February. We went for 2 days . Most of us shot hogs in the 250- 300 lb range. 2 of the guys shot a hog and a ram. Another guy shot a fallow deer and a turkey. The meat was really good. I would do it again.

I went to Tioga when I was a kid, it was fun, and a lot cheaper back then. Checked out their site yesterday. Prices went way up, and they have a bunch of different price brackets for pigs. Makes me wonder how many times people want a cheaper pig, then shoot and have the guides say "oops wrong pig, that one costs more".

• Like 1

I know it's not a real hunt, but it'd be fun for him if I can find one I can afford. Has anybody heard of the island hunts on the susquehanna river in Bainbridge PA? Just found the site. It's called widowmaker. Seems like that might work for me, at least as far as affordability. There are some negative reviews though.

I know it's not a real hunt, but it'd be fun for him if I can find one I can afford. Has anybody heard of the island hunts on the susquehanna river in Bainbridge PA? Just found the site. It's called widowmaker. Seems like that might work for me, at least as far as affordability. There are some negative reviews though.

Yep, Ive been wanting to do a hunt down there for a few years now, just havent gotten around to it. Ive heard good and bad about it, but the prices are alot more affordable than many others.

why not do wildchase in the south? hog hunts are very cheap these days down there and close to 100% success rate.

Gas to PA wouldnt be that much, and $350 an animal is a good price. It would probably work out to a bit less per pound for the meat and a heck of alot more fun than going to the meat market for it all. Especially if you take care of your own butchering.

Another option you may want to consider is that the hunting age in NJ is 10. Lots of areas that allow unlimited does and the archery season starts in a lot of areas just after the first week of September. I imagine it'd be a good bit cheaper hunting public land in NJ

7J, ever kill one around you?

No, but quite a few are taken every deer season, including this monster (which to be fair is more likely just a ferrel farm hog), and these (sorry I just did a quick search, these are all from 2009):

http://blog.syracuse...gs_huge_wi.html

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2009/12/cny_wild_boar_update_theyre_st.html

Edited by 7J Everyday