Recurve Draw Weight

jusputtn

Im not super experienced with recurves. Have been shooting one for the past 3 years or so. As NYantler said the draw weight stamped on the inside bow limb is measured at a 28 inch draw.

Calculations need to be made if your draw length will be shorter (lee weight) or longer (more weight) than 28 inches.

Thanks again for the info. I didn't realize that it's a direct ratio.

I used to hunt with compounds, 10+ years ago. Now my son wants to get a bow, he's almost 11. So what am I to do when he's shooting (that was my excuse to get a .22 cal air rifle B) ). Looking to simplify and try some instinctive shooting with a used bow to keep the start up cost down.

Thanks again for the info. I didn't realize that it's a direct ratio.

I used to hunt with compounds, 10+ years ago. Now my son wants to get a bow, he's almost 11. So what am I to do when he's shooting (that was my excuse to get a .22 cal air rifle B) ). Looking to simplify and try some instinctive shooting with a used bow to keep the start up cost down.

You'll get a kick out of it.. it's a lot of fun shooting instinctively... it's not hard but takes a bit of practice to get good at it.. its kinda like shooting foul shots in basketball..lol

• 2 months later...

or throwing a football, frisbee or golfing, all are instinctive aiming and ballistics, you throw a football to oyur kid at 30 feet you dont suddenly need a sight to tell you how to reach him now at 60 feet, the more you throw anything, frisbee, golfball, basketball, football, arrow, the mroe it becomes a muscle memory thing and is all intuitive.

the only time good instinctive arhcers have trouble i have found is on the bowfishing boats, the deep fish "look" to be a certain distance and your mind doesnt compute the refraction of light which makes the fish look higher in the water, so for those who dont aim, and simply LOOK and release, they miss a lot of fish high unless they are near the surface.

for deep fish, anythin more than a foot down, try drawing three under and sight down the arrow and HOLD/ AIM at below the fishes belly.

anyway, a bow is a great thing for a kid! good on you!

I bought a Hoyt Dorado takedown recurve a fews years back to play with but added a whisker biscuit, 1 pin sight, and string loop. I shoot it with a release and am reasonably accurate to 25 yards.

The main reason for the purchase was to have a takedown bow as a backup when flying to a hunting destination. This recurve fits inside a small folding case which then goes into my compound bow travel case.

post-1036-0-47795700-1330644486_thumb.jp

Edited by skyhunter