gravel/rock drive way question.. price? Otsego

Geno C

im not in that area, but it mainly goes by the type of stone, and cost per load. up here, crusher run is about 250 a ten wheel load. call some local excavation/gravel companies and get some prices. or, when they tear the asphalt up from the roads in the spring to redo the roads, that makes excellent driveway material, and the county/state will gladly give it away generally.

what is the going rate to have a gravel driveway put in 12x100' or so? I was under the impression it was a few hundred bux? Anyone know someone in the Otsego area that can do one for a good price?

Geno, I think you have more than a few hundred bucks in material alone. Not counting delivery and installation. Call a local excavator they usually do this type of work. I think the crusher run is a red color stone. My neighbor had it done a few years ago and it held up pretty good.

If its a new driveway Id think about putting down the fiber matting , so you dont get sink holes . not in area but I got the father inlaw 2 loads of crush in run (appx 50-52 ton) for 550 delivered this summer .

that seems like a great price

ive heard about putting that matting down before. But i wonder how crazy i should go with the matting and how deep considering its really only for recreation, not many cars and trucks will drive on it throughout the year... few times a month really so how crazy in depth and construction should i really do?

I had to do some calling , most guys wanted 300 $ per load here . I mention the matting because my parents built a new house , and a did stone driveway and it had a under ground spring 2 nice ruts in the spring and fall . when they had it black topped it had to be dug up and the matting put in . iirc about 30' on each side of the ruts .

I put it down in my new drive way and also in the pole barn . on my drive they went down 24+" Im not in construction maybe some one has some god advice on that part . even if they only went down a foot Id still put the matting in rather than buying stone every few years . just my op.

I had mine up the cabin put in by Roy Olin out of Camden,did a great job ~$2700. Dug all the top out,some spots about 18" of it.He then brought about 9 loads of bank run.He also removed stumps that was included in the price. This last spring when it was at peak wet time,I did'nt have any soft spots,perfect. 023-1.jpg026-1.jpg007.jpgth_020.jpg After we let it set for a year,we had him come back and deliver 5ton of what I call 1 B small stone,in the area where we walk the most....it's clean and easy to walk on.These old wore out ankles thank me for it :). We roughed it in, in one weekend,then thinned it out how we wanted it the next. I don't have a current photo of it thinned out,but you get the idea.The bank run,although it was fine how it was after driving on it and packing it down,still had an uneven surface with goonies that I call ankle breakers here and there.It's very solid and I have no regrets with it.Probably overkill to some for a cabin,but now we can go there and not deal with mud and ruts every spring. 002-Copy.jpg011-2.jpg012-1.jpg I have his information,should you or anyone in that area want it.He covers a fairly large area.

EDIT: The back hoe pic is a clickable video.

Edited by Single_shot

that seems like a great price

ive heard about putting that matting down before. But i wonder how crazy i should go with the matting and how deep considering its really only for recreation, not many cars and trucks will drive on it throughout the year... few times a month really so how crazy in depth and construction should i really do?

Geno. THe Marafi 600X geofabric should be $0.09 /sf for material. the roll is 12'-6" wide so you won't hav to worry about lapping material unless you go wider. If you overlap the lap should be 2'. . Labor shouldn't be more than $0.05 /sf- you are looking at around $170 to put the fabric under the stone.