Career for the younger crowd.

If any of you out there are not interested in College or looking for a change in careers. I can't even begin to express the lack of qualified people in the Pipe Welding field. Now dont' get me wrong there are lots of welders. Structural, sheetmetal, fabricators and plate. but the pipe welders are a dying breed. it will be the most sought after trade in the next 10 years. I see the average age of pipe welders in construction at around their early 50's.

Just for your info. if you were in the Mid Atlantic area the wages are around 29-37/hour.

I know a lot of folks are out of work but if the state of Ny is offering any training money this is where I would be heading.

My dad was a union steamfitter for 33 years and tried to convince me to get into the trade. I considered it right out of high school but then got interested in a girl who was going to college and she convinced me not too. Long story short, now I am a scientist. My dad still says I should consider it though.

You are never going to hear me say that any education is bad, but, I feel the "gotta have a diploma" frenzy was pushed way too hard and many got into deadend degrees that have gotten them into nothing but debt. I can't even cuont the number of resumes I read each week where applicants with BA's and MASTERS are applying to a 10-12/ hour positions.

You are never going to hear me say that any education is bad, but, I feel the "gotta have a diploma" frenzy was pushed way too hard and many got into deadend degrees that have gotten them into nothing but debt. I can't even cuont the number of resumes I read each week where applicants with BA's and MASTERS are applying to a 10-12/ hour positions.

That "gotta have a diploma" is a big load of $hit i think. You do not need to have a degree to be happy in life and you do not need a $75,000 a year job to be happy either.

That's because the economy has sucked for many years. I remember graduating from law school with a young woman in 1991. I lost touch and after a couple of years I met her at a restaurant waiting tables full time. I was one of the lucky ones and found a job about 8 months after graduation. You are right about skilled labor. Those jobs are few and far between nowadays.

But you also have to let them know it is a hot...dirt job that will raise hell with your lungs...My instructor was a welder from Foster wheelerwent to night school for 2 yrs...got fired from a job for appling to a welding position....Aaahhh stepped out of my "womans"place...lol...those guys made a pretty good living...I come from a family of welders...my brother got out in his mid 30's...when he started coughing up blood........he worked at foster wheeler

Those jobs are few and far between nowadays.

The skilled labor jobs? I don't see that. especially the pipe welding that I originally posted. (I am going to speak generally and I don't mean this as any kind of personal attack to anyone. It is mearly an observation from the companies I deal with and they are pretty large contractors. Those impacted by companies going under or in the residential market are not what I am talking about in the next statements) The bulk of the people I have seen laid off in this economic downturn in the construction business are not the "A" players. The knowledgableand hard working are still working. The marginal employees that had been employed because everything was booming are the ones that have been hit. I have seen it with our employees and those we are trying to hire. I have yet to see a flood of really qualified workers hitting the market. Think about all the people you know..friends...family...aquaintences. Is there one out of every 10 that you wouldn't hire if YOU owned a business. I know it is the case for me. Heck some are family...lol. That is 10% unemployment.

I wasn't trying to go down any particular road with the original post. Just wanted some of our younger members to think about looking into a career that will be in high demand atleast ove rthe next decade.

But you also have to let them know it is a hot...dirt job that will raise hell with your lungs...My instructor was a welder from Foster wheelerwent to night school for 2 yrs...got fired from a job for appling to a welding position....Aaahhh stepped out of my "womans"place...lol...those guys made a pretty good living...I come from a family of welders...my brother got out in his mid 30's...when he started coughing up blood........he worked at foster wheeler

I tisn't what it was only a decade ago. It is a dirty job but the sir quality standards by OSHA are a lot different than 10 or 20 years ago. And as for women.....their hand eye coordination is great!! Some of the best welders I have seen are women and with the "goals" for minority and female participation, they really have a great employment outook. It is also a trade that is not as physical in terms of lifting and such.