more winter critters

skyhunter

Actually, I get more of a kick out of catching the occasional photo of some of these other critters rather than just looking at one deer after another. There is something fascinating about seeing just what is cruising around out there when you're not there. In fact as soon as I get a chance, I am going to pick up one or two "flash" trail cams (IR cams just don't cut it as far as artsy-fartsy quality is concerned) so I can get a few good quality critter pictures....... Probably next spring. I want to check out the swamp across the road.

Actually, I get more of a kick out of catching the occasional photo of some of these other critters rather than just looking at one deer after another. There is something fascinating about seeing just what is cruising around out there when you're not there. In fact as soon as I get a chance, I am going to pick up one or two "flash" trail cams (IR cams just don't cut it as far as artsy-fartsy quality is concerned) so I can get a few good quality critter pictures....... Probably next spring. I want to check out the swamp across the road.

I agree Doc, the rare animals are the ones that interest me the most. Not saying big antlered bucks aren't rare and great to catch; they are; just that some of the other critters are challenging and rewarding as well. That's why my cams run 365.

Yes, the white flash units are the ones I like best. While the nightime infrared pictures I get from my Trophy cams stay around breifly for scouting purposes, these low quality pics eventually make it into the waste basket of my harddrive. I'm tired of infrared cams. I will admit though that they do have less spook effect than the white flash units. Last July I was getting 2 good bucks consistently in 2 different woodlots with my Bushnell trophy cams when I decided I would like to get a quality picture of them with their antlers full grown. So I set up a few quality homebrews at these sites but never did get another picture of either buck. I'll bet they saw the light going off from a distance when other deer tripped the camera and from then on they became competent at avoiding those units.

While I use "homebrew" cams as my primary white flash units I was thinking about giving the "Covert" commercial cams a look. They do make a hybrid white/infrared flash unit as well as a white flash only unit that sells for about $120.

here's another whacky critter I picked up last week.

post-1036-0-53576700-1326740265_thumb.jp

Edited by skyhunter