marlin 35

If his gun is a lever action Marlin it is chambered for .35 Remington, and it is not the same as the .35 Whelen.

The .35 Rem casing is about the same length as a .30-30. The .35 Whelen is a 30-06 case necked up to .35 caliber, a much longer and more powerful cartridge . The only similarity between the two is that they both use .358" diameter bullets. A .35 Whelen round would never fit in a .35 Rem chamber, but a .35 Rem, being a shorter cartridge, might fit in a .35 Whelen. If it did and someone fired it, the case would probably rupture with possible damage to the gun and the shooter.

I don't think Marlin has ever produced a rifle chambered in .35 Whelen.

Edited by Pygmy

Sell the Marlin, keep the cartridges, buy a rifle in 35 Whelen

or leave the gun, take the cannoli's

I've had my 35 Marlin for almost 40 years, back when a deer rifle could be bought for $100 or less! The 35 Rem is an excellent cartridge great for deer and bear and a bit more umpfh than a 30-30. I have taken my 35 to the range and put one bullet into another at 100 yards with no problem at all. The 35 REM. originally started out as an Israeli military cartridge.

On the other end the 35 Whelen was Colonel Whelen's answer to wanting a cartridge that provided more than the 30-06. It is a superior cartridge to the 06, but does not have the versatility of the 06. Like most "wildcats" with the 35 Whelen you be better off reloading your own.

Edited by SteveMcD

Sorry Steve..You mentioned on a previous post that the .35 Rem was introduced as an Israeli military cartridge.

I don't know where you heard that, but it is just not true.

The .35 Rem was introduced by Remington in 1906 and was first chambered in the Remington Model 8 autoloader in 1908.

Israel never existed as a nation until 1948...

Nope..The .35 Rem is a rimless cartridge, developed in the early 1900's along with the .25 rem, .30 Rem and .32 Rem, to function well in Remington's current ( for the time) semi auto and pump guns and compete with Winchester's very successful .25-35, 30-30 and .32 Winchester special, which were HUGELY popular at the time in Winchester's famous M94 lever action.

Edited by Pygmy

Sell the Marlin, keep the cartridges, buy a rifle in 35 Whelen

or leave the gun, take the cannoli's

Sully...I see you are a "Godfather" fan...

That is also one of my favorite quotes from the film... B) ... Clemenza was my favorite character...

Edited by Pygmy

+2 mostly I would like to ad that I have a friend that owns a Marlin 336XLR in 35 whelen

Jhog...I have been searching the net for info on a Marlin 336XLR in .35 Whelen.

I am not doubting your word, but I have been unable to find info on a Marlin 336 in this caliber. Let me know if you can find some info..

No doubt that it is very accurate..

I was not aware of the Israeli military interest in it, but I can certainly see the utility of the cartridge as an automatic weapon round. Short action and capable of using a heavy enough FMJ bullet to penetrate light armor..

Thanks, Steve..

I have a Marlin 336 from the early 60's in .35 Rem with a 2X Leupold on it. It's a great woods gun for deer and black bear. That .35 caliber 200 grain bullet packs a lot of smack within 100 yards. It's very accurate and seems to always cycle in the action smoothly and reliably. I've never had a round hang up in the gun when using it. Leave a nice two hole blood trail too, even in a black bear.

Jhog...I have been searching the net for info on a Marlin 336XLR in .35 Whelen.

I am not doubting your word, but I have been unable to find info on a Marlin 336 in this caliber. Let me know if you can find some info..

Asked my buddy about his Marlin in .35 Whelen. turns out he had it built a few years back when he moved to Colorado to guide.

• 1 month later...

The 35 is awesome northeastern whitetail round. It a rimless 30-30 case necked up to 35 cal and was invented as a semi-auto round in 1908 for the Remington Model 8. Its pretty acurate upto 100 yds. Mine is a Marlin 336 with a 2-6 Nikon on it, Its never been turned past 2x and I've anchored a lot of deer with it. The Whelen is an entirely different round. The brass is incompatible between the two.